ad: BKQSL-1

Yaesu FT-991A Tx Relay Gnd on Rem/ALC meter tip

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by AK4R, Feb 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AK4R

AK4R Ham Member QRZ Page

All,

I would like to know if the FT-991A has the neat feature of being able to jumper the transmit relay ground signal to the Rem/ALC output tip connection.

I do know my FT-857D does (J21) and it allows an amplifier to be connected with a simple and inexpensive 3.5 mm stereo to two RCA plugs (one for TX, one for ALC). I understand that the FT-897 has this feature as well. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, this is not shown in the Manual, Service Supplement (including schematics) so I doubt (and have looked) it would be documented properly in the FT-991A.

I am hoping that someone with an FT-991A or who services them can answer definitively. It would be of benefit, I believe, to many FT-991A owners.

Hoping to hear soon, thinking of buying the FT-991A and this might push me over the edge, sort of speak.

Thanks & 73,

Steve, AK4R

2. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an FT 991A and I THINK (?) the only way to key the amp by shorting the amp's relay to ground is via the DIN plug. The ALC is via the stereo jack on the back but that is a dual purpose jack. It is either used for the FH-2 remote key pad or the ALC. But the downside is, "You can't do both from that jack." Why Yaesu did not share the jack by using the shield for ground, ring for one function and tip for the second function, I will never know?

If I am wrong, please post your findings.
    Barry, KU3X

3. AK4R

AK4R Ham Member QRZ Page

Barry,

Thank you so much for answering. If I find anything out, I will let you know for sure. I have the 991A on order, so I will have to figure something out for sure. It is true that the undocumented jumper in the FT-857/897 sure made it easy.

Steve, AK4R