ad: UR5CDX-1

Yaesu FT-891 Repeater Programming

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Feb 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you own a Yaesu FT-891 or are you thinking about getting one soon? If so then watch this video and I will show you how to program 6 and 10 meter repeaters into your FT-891!

Thank you for taking the time to watch!

AE4LH, W1AEO and G6MHR like this.
  2. W6VRF

W6VRF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice concise video. I'm looking for my first "new" HF rig. I have a mid 1990s Icom 737 that has taught me a lot, and the price was right.
    I would like nicer receive/DPS/filtering, and the portable size sounds really appealing.

Portability aside, how does this radio compare to the FT-450D? They are within $20 of each other, cover the same bands/modes. I imagine the FT-891 has improve RX.
    Also, the FT-450D includes a built-in tuner. Because of my compromised antenna system in my small suburban lot, and lousy band conditions I mainly work digital modes like PSK31 and JT65.

WJ6F likes this.
  3. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Having the new FT-891 has been great! It, being some 10 years newer than my FT-857D I can tell a difference in how it sounds, tunes, etc.

For me I use LDG tuners (YT-100) since I too have to deal with a microscopic lot size and an HOA. I am left only being able to use a verticle, loop or EndFed antenna. When I do PSK31 I use my Icom IC-7200. The reason for this is that the IC-7200 has a built-in soundcard. The IC-7200 is back in production and is running at $889.95 at HRO.

4. W6VRF

W6VRF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am a vetted volunteer with my city's emergency communications team (similar to ARES).
    The IC-7200 would definitely be a nice tool for field deployments, especially if I need to send winlink email via winmor.
    I don't have a problem using my signalink, or buying a second one for $100, but there's some convenience factor having that stuff built-in.

5. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

True if need be the Signalink is not too terribly expensive.

6. KD2WA

KD2WA Ham Member QRZ Page

I am thinking of buying 891 for new mobile install. How fast is scan speed if say I program all repeater pairs into radio and want to scan? How many memories are available?

WJ6F likes this.
  7. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

There are 99 memory storage spots available, and you can have up to 6 memory groups. As far as scanning speed I honestly couldn't tell you.

8. AE4LH

AE4LH Ham Member QRZ Page

This instruction was very helpful! I heard a 10-m repeater a couple of weeks ago, but had not made the time to learn how to program my radio. Your video will help me get used to this mode. vy 73 de David AE4LH