Yaesu FT-857D MARS mod ?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KJ6DXW, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KJ6DXW

KJ6DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Please don't flame me about mods. I have a specific reason for this request:

I'm in need of a mod that will allow TX on 118-135. I used to have it on my Icom 706mkIIg, but my new FT-857D gives me a Transmit Error in this band. MARS mod done already, but this band is still locked. Any ideas?

2. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thats the air-band (but I guess you know that already) ... i don't know of any rig that allows AM TX via the mods.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

3. W0LPQ

W0LPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Even if it did work on AM, it ain't legal anyway. But, bet he knows that.

4. N0BOX

N0BOX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pretty sure that even if you were to modify the radio to transmit on those frequencies, that the computer chip that controls the radio would also have to be reprogrammed. There is a special section of the firmware that disallows TX in the air band because Yaesu rightly believes that there is no reason for the radio to be able to transmit in that band. They don't want to be responsible for someone being able to mess with pilots talking to the control tower (whether by jamming or by impersonating the tower to give false information).

5. KJ6DXW

Well, as an airport manager, I don't want to have two radios in my truck. I thought I could do this with the FT-857D, but I guess I'll have to get another Icom 706mkIIg, which does transmit on the air band.

6. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are indeed an airport manager, you would have never asked this question. Why? You already know the fines for doing so, do you not?

7. KJ6DXW

I love how you think they know everything. If you did, you'd know that I hold the FCC license to operate on our unicom frequency, which, yes, is in the air band.

8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the point is that the radio itself has to be certificated for part 87 to be legal to use in the aircraft band. The Icom radio doesn't have that certification. AFAIK, there is no ham radio that does.

Joe

9. KD7MSC

KD7MSC Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, why don't you call the FCC and see what they have to say?

lmao!

10. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

Since when is a ft-857 approved for UNICOM TX?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.