ad: BridgeCom-2

Yaesu FT-7900R: RS-232 to PS2 Data Cable Diagram

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N5GOR, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N5GOR

N5GOR Ham Member

Does anyone have a diagram for the data/programming cables used with software to program these radios? Rather than order a pre-made USB to PS2 cable, I intend to make my own RS-232 to PS2 cable and use a USB to serial converter. I know some of these can act strangely, and I'm prepared for that.

Thanks!

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member

Drivers that will work with the USB converter can be a problem. The Prolific drivers seem to be the best.
    Look here for TTL converter info;
    http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/links.html

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  3. N5GOR

N5GOR Ham Member

4. N5GOR

N5GOR Ham Member

Thank you, sir. I'll bear that in mind.

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member

Be aware that "traditional" Serial Port (RS-232) signals are NOT directly compatible with USB Serial signals, at either the signal or circuitry level. There is NO simple cable that will allow the USB to connect to RS-232 or RS-232 to connect to USB without damage to either or BOTH devices.
    An interface from RS-232 to USB may or may NOT function as you wish; it WILL depend upon the software drivers that are designed for interface from the RS-232 to USB interface.

6. N5GOR

N5GOR Ham Member

Thanks for the advice. I'm aware that USB and RS-232 are totally different entities. I wasn't about to plug in my radio direct ;)
    The circuit I found is a level shifter based upon two transistors. I was a little worried about this design, since it draws it's power from the RTS/CTS lines, but it's clamped to 5V with a Zener diode, so I stayed late at work tonight and built it. It works like a charm, both with regular good old RS-232 (DB9) and a USB to serial converter (uses an FDTI USB to serial IC).

Just thought I'd let you know!

I bought and used the G4HFQ Radio Programming Software.

7. N5GOR

N5GOR Ham Member

The cable... built on proto-board, using an old mouse cable.
    It's a bit rough (potted with epoxy and covered in heat-shrink tubing) but it works.

Photo1.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.