ad: M2Ant-1

Yaesu FT-7900R Low Audio

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KM5ART, Jun 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-innov
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
  1. KM5ART

KM5ART Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all, I'm a new ham and I'm having problems with my new FT-7900R. When I'm transmitting, I'm being told that my audio is very low. I was told to hold the mic closer or to speak louder, but neither should be the problem. I have talked on radios, commerical etc for many years so I'm not new to radio. I borrowed a friends Alinco DR-140 and was using it for a few weeks with no problems.

I did some research and found a review on Eham where one poster had this to say. "as a follow-up to my previous review the ft-7900 was found to have had a failure in the modulation circuit."

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so does it sound like my issue is related. I just installed my radio 2 days ago and am disappointed that it's not working like it should.

I have checked to make sure ARTS and WIRES is turned off, the Mic gain (menu 47) is set to wide. I can't think of anything else that it could be.

MODS...can you move this post to ham audio technology....sorry about that :eek:
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  2. K1WJ

K1WJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a FT7800 - check to see if there is a menu item that you can select the model # of the mic you are using. With my radio, I talk within 2 inches of the mic. Good to go. Hope you figure this out. 73 K1WJ David
  3. KM5ART

Just checked that after you mentioned it, it was set correctly, so that isn't the problem. Thanks for bringing it up. Anyone else have any ideas?
  4. WS9K

WS9K Ham Member QRZ Page

find a local with the same mic.

swap and compare to isolate the trouble.

you could have a bad mic element.

also make sure the RJ-45 mic connector is inserted fully.
  5. KM5ART

That did the trick. I unplugged the mic and plugged it back in. Works like a charm. Thanks
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.