ad: jbsims

Yaesu FT-450 any opinions?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KF6OCI, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
  1. KF6OCI

KF6OCI Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT-450 has caught my eye. Anyone know how reliable and how
    it performs?

Dan

2. KF5F

KF5F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had my FT-450 for a month and really like it. It has an excellent receiver and lots of features for the $$$. I am verry happy with my purchase.

3. N3AHC

N3AHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Fine rig April 21, 2008

I bought mine at the beginning of this month at HRO, it's Yaesu month and their on sale for 699.00 with the auto tuner. So far I love it, easy to program, easy to see what your doing, manual is very well written. Well worth the money.

4. KF6OCI

Thanks Everyone,

Dan

5. K6CRC

K6CRC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ft-450

I have had mine about 6 months. I bought it from another ham who didn't like the ergonomics.

So far, so good. It is a step up from my previous rig, an IC-718. DSP works well, audio reports are good. I have worked many of the DXPeditions, and have 48 states confirmed. Not bad for low sunspots and an operator who is not on very much.

It is not a mobile rig, not a contest rig, but is good for the new or casual ham. My complaints are minor - the ergonomics could be significantly improved, and the manual is marginal. You have to play with it to understand the quirks.

Summary - I am happy with the rig, but if you are considering one, use it first.

K6CRC

6. LA5CRA

LA5CRA QRZ Member

ft-450

somebody got the sevice menu manual for this rig? im in the nead for it. iv gott the service menu manual for the ft-817 if anyone neads it. 73's

7. KF6OCI

I couldn't locate one either. I went to all of the usual sites, DX Zone, etc.

Dan

8. K2MMO

K2MMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Going back to yaesu service for the 2nd time

Very unhappy with the rig ..first it is to small....you need to have you 2 year old grandchild turn the tuning knob..also have had problems with TRX output not putting out full 100 watts.........yaesu fixed the problem the first time...........and It is on its way back again to yaesu..........same problem 2nd time in less than 1 year :mad:

Try Icom 718.....much better rig........

9. KF6OCI

I like the IC-718

Dan

10. DH4SC

DH4SC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,

I´m using the latest version of the FT-450AT and it is a really good radio. But the first version of the rig had some problems with the software and the receiver and the build-in-tuner. Because of this small problems the FT-450 got some bad reviews in the past, but the second issue of the radio works very well and all the problems seem to be fixed.
    It is a "very compact" radio and the menu could be done better but if you spend a little time into the radio it is no real problem. Before you do the first QSOs you should setup the service menu due to your likes/dislikes.
    The DSP works very well.
    The only thing about the radio that i do not like is the microphone. It is quite big and quite uncomfortable in your hand. I will use a MD-100 desk-mike in the future.
    A great radio at all.

11. KA0ZLG

KA0ZLG Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought my ft 450-AT at the end of April 2008 ND Have good luck with it to this date. I will say that I upgraded from a FT840, and it has several more functions that it. As I say I have only had it a bit over a month and it has done well on the HF nets I check into and also calling CW. I do like the voice chip, this is great. I can program it for contest, really looking forward to using it on field day. I have not tried out the CW on it but I hope to soon. I do like most of the functions it has. I am not real happy with the way the buttons are laid out. I wish it had the RF power on a knob on the radio, (not in menu). The stock hand mic makes me think back when I was a Cber, It could be smaller. I had some trouble finding how to get to the 60 mtr band. Could not find it in the manual, but I did find it. I don't know if I would take it mobile or not its a bit large for mobile unless you had a wide car/truck with out a hump or shifter on the hump. I do not like the At, it dose not like anything that is more than a 3:1 VSWR. I have to use my external tuner with my G5RV. If I had the real estate I would run separate antennas. But I don't. But anyway to this date I love it. There are many, many more PROS than cons . I would give it a 9.5 out of 10

mike
    KA0ZLG

12. PY2KK

PY2KK Ham Member QRZ Page

service manual ft-450

please service manual for ft-450

13. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

couldn't have you determined this before you bought the rig? this photo from gigaparts (which seems to resemble photos on other retailer sites) show the rig along with a handheld microphone--it should be easy to sort out that this is not a big rig:

[​IMG]

i suppose you could also have read the specs ...

14. KB8VOM

KB8VOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Love My FT-450

I am new to HF, got my General in March and Extra in May. That being said I have been a shortwave listener and ham since 1994.

I got my FT-450 in March and have loved it ever since with a couple minor drawbacks that everyone has mentioned with the size but you have to remember this is a mobile rig. The menu has a lot of steps and I often found myself going back into the menu a couple times to change different settings until I downloaded and run Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD). HRD allows me to make setting changes very fast due to it being computer software.

The transmitter is very solid, 5-9 copy in Southern California 500-600 miles away everyday on 40 meters. Was able to bust through a pileup and work a DXpedition in Venezula on 20 meters. Have had a contact or 2 on 17 meters no complaints along with 6 meters.

The reciever is very very good. The contour of the filter is very sharp and can cut out most QRM, what can't be handled by the contour is handled by the noise blanker.

If anything should happen to my FT-450 would I buy another? You bet ya!! I am in the process now of a better antenna system and not a HF vertical 10 feet off the ground like I have now!

73's and Happy Shopping,
    Adam KB8VOM

15. KB8VOM

KB8VOM Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-450 Service Manual

Oh, I forgot to mention, I have heard from several hams to obtain a service manual for the FT-450 all you have to do is contact Yaesu. Yaesu will send out a cd with the service manual on it, unfortunately there is a cost just like anything else these days and it will cost you $20.

There may be another way to obtain the service manual, this was just the word around the campfire so to speak!

Many hams have played around with the hidden factory settings and have really messed their rigs up. A couple reasons is that they did not write down and save the original factory settings and have no way to put the settings back. Also the settings are unique to every radio due to a computer has set the paramiters up for peak performance from the factory.

The only settings that I have played with are for the LCD display and increase in ALC. I had to raise the ALC due to I have a softer voice than most and needed all the help I could get in that area. The LCD I ended up putting the setting back to default, in my personal opinion the rig looks great from the factory.

I am still iffy on updating the firmware because I do not want to change what luck I have going for me. I have heard some bad about the firmware updates and heard they can be difficult to install.

73's,
    Adam KB8VOM

16. KC7NOA

KC7NOA Ham Member QRZ Page

what were the specific steps to getting to the alc adjustments??

17. KF6OCI

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  18. ZS1JHG

ZS1JHG Ham Member QRZ Page

FT 450 Quality control promblems

Yaesu have quality control issues with this radio, latest versions are repeating
    prior faults, audio hum,dead display. Very good value for your money,and a techno leader, pity about the quality control. 73 John

19. K7UAF

K7UAF Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had T-450 for a few months now and I love it. I've had none of the problems that have been reported. It's a great rig.

20. K2MMO

K2MMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

great little rig but.......

Great little rig.........I have had it about 9 months and use it for CW work.............however the tuning knob is a bit to small...but you get use to it.....it works great and is also small & light enough to be a portable rig....and well worth the money.........I recommend the rig.........also a great first rig for a new ham breaking into HF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.