Yaesu FT-450 and RTTY

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KD4ZDQ, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
  1. KD4ZDQ

    KD4ZDQ Guest

    I recently purchased a Yaesu FT-450at. I am wanting to get into RTTY and I am lookign for any suggestions on the interface cable that goes from the "DATA" jack on the back of the radio to the computer sound card.

    I have gotten conflicting reports on the tyoe of 6 min connector that is used for this application. I have been told by Yaesu that they sell one, and that they don't sell one. Another person told me that I could use a mouse cable because it has the same style plug...

    Can anyone give me an idea of what they are using?


  2. KD4ZDQ

    KD4ZDQ Guest

    Bump to top....

  3. K7MH

    K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

    I am not sure just what the data jack is for on the 450, but usually you use a sound card interface between the rig and the computer sound card for the digital modes. I think the "data jack" is usually for computer control of the rig. Maybe someone will jump in about it.
    As far as the actual connector goes it may be the same as a mouse connector but you may need different connections to it than a mouse cable has. Then again, if all of the connections are actually used by a mouse in some way, it would be usable as long as you can determine which wire goes to which part of the connector.
    There is a Yahoo user group for that radio. I would go here and subscribe. Probably nothing that they cannot answer about the 450
    Yahoo FT-450 User Group
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  4. NN4RH

    NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    That's a 6-pin Mini- DIN connector. The pin-out is shown on page 74 of your manual.

    If you're thinking of RTTY via AFSK soundcard mode, you can build or buy an interface. I built my first one but currently I use a Rigblaster Plug and Play. Google it.

    If you're thinking of RTTY via true FSK, you'll need a TNC. See p 72 of your manual.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  5. KI6RYC

    KI6RYC Ham Member QRZ Page

    The Yaesu part is CT-39 "Packet Interface Cable" It has a 6 pin mini DIN on one side and 6 tinned wires on the other. This is the cable you would use to homebrew a sound card interface or use to connect to a RTTY TNC. If you're looking for something premade, the RigBlaster PNP has been reported by many to work. I will be trying the RigBlaster today.
  6. KE7VZW

    KE7VZW Ham Member QRZ Page

    Signalink USB!
    Signalink USB!
    Signalink USB!

    This is the way to go for sure. (IMO, and many others) Other products are good, but this one is damn near perfect. I just spent two weeks doing nothing but vetting interfaces for my rig, and all signs point to Signalink USB every single time.

    You may have to wait a couple weeks to get one since they're so popular, but you may luck out if you call Tigertronics on Monday, as they JUST completed a new production run last week.

    Cannot recommend enough the Signalink USB. And for the record, I'm using it with the FT-450 Also :) You will need to order the 6-pin mini din package to plug into the data port. If you call to order, they will go over every single detail to make sure you're good to go out of the box.

    Also be aware that you will probably need to use a 100K resistor for the MIC jumper inside the signalink when used with teh FT-450. The data port input is so sensitive that the signal is just too hot without the resistor. After that, tuning up on 100W with no AGC and all is well. Turn back down to 40 watts or so RFpower so you don't blow out your finals.

    I am a Tigertronics/Signalink stalwart from the minute I first spoke with them; let alone their incredible product.

    check the reviews for yourself....... only 99$ to boot, ready to go all-inclusive (sans 100Kohm resistor if you need it, extra 5 cents)



    PS: Then don't forget to use WWV to calibrate the offsets for the signalink or whatever rig you choose (or internal soundcard if you use a passive interface). This keeps you zero matched and on-freq to other digital users. I used FLDigi and WWV mode, then open the scope and calibrate offset until the second ticks from the WWV clock (on 5, 10 and 15 mHZ) will align eventually with the center line. The FLDigi site has specifics on how to do it. IF you don't calibrate, you'll constantly be adjusting and chasing freqs in the waterfall......

    PSS: Sorry to inundate you with info. Just sharing what i spent a lot of time digging via, hoping to ease your burden.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  7. NN4RH

    NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    The connector is identical to the old PS2 mouse connector. If you have an old PS2 mouse in your junk box (you can probably find one at a hamfest), just cut off the mouse and you have the same thing as the Yaesu CT-39 but for a dollar or for free instead of $12 plus shipping.
  8. K4YAN

    K4YAN Ham Member QRZ Page

    SignaLink USB
    SignaLink USB
    SignaLink USB

    Hope this helps
  9. AG3Y

    AG3Y Guest

    You need to determine whether the data jack on the back panel is actually an audio supporting jack, or a direct FSK voltage input jack! I do not know that answer, but certainly something in the instruction manual will tell you!

    Good luck. 73, Jim
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page