Yaesu FT-1900 and AX.25 on Linux

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC3LWZ, Feb 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC3LWZ

KC3LWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,

I have a FT-1900 that I would like to hook up to my computer to do AX.25 via Linux with and was wondering if anyone could tell me what equipment is needed as well as any pointers. Thanks.

Geoff
    KC3LWZ

2. KK4GGL

KK4GGL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you need to be a bit more specific. I have a Baofeng UV5R connected to a Kam98. The Kam does the AX.25. I have an FT-8900/SignaLink I use for APRS . Xastir for the software. I have a friend that installed and configured the AX.25 software on a computer, I am not sure of the OS, to run a BPQ node. That's the only time I've heard of having to install AX.25.

3. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

From the sketchy information you gave it looks like you are referring to VHF Packet radio.

What you need is a TNC (Terminal Node Controller) to interface between the FT 1900 and your computer. Of course you will also need some sort of terminal program that runs on Linux. You do not have to install the AX 25 protocol. The TNC uses AX25 and it is a part of the TNC firmware.

I don't run Linux and have no idea what terminal programs are available for Linux. Google is your friend. Search and you shall find.

TNCs are readilly available used on eBay. I personally would not buy a new one. your chances of getting a lot of use out of it for packet are pretty slim.

Get one you can use for APRS. You may get some use out of that.
    John
    K4AGO

4. KC3LWZ

KC3LWZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a TNC, but I'm looking to get rid of it and go full Linux instead of having an external TNC. Linux supports native AX.25 via a sound catd. There's even a HOW TO telling exactly how to configure it ( http://tldp.org/HOWTO/AX25-HOWTO/ ). My question concerns if anyone here has actually done it and what hardware they're using between their radio and their system.