Yaesu Fl2100 bypass may be stuck ??

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KG4RSF, Mar 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You can use most any good voltmeter, You need a High Voltage probe that works with what you have.

Google "diy high voltage probe", And you will find plans on how to build one.

Good Luck. Be careful playing with electricity.

2. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally I prefer an Analogue meter, as YOU select the range, and you can see what's going on, especially with varying voltages or currents.

Roger G3YRO

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Several generations of Simpson 260s, like a couple of 260-5Ps I have, have a 5kV scale and you don't need a multiplier probe, just the clip leads and being careful.

Triplett 630s or similar may have had this feature also, I don't recall and my Triplett is in the garage shop so I didn't look.

However, with even a lower-voltage VOM, "anybody" can make a HV probe from a length of nylon, fibreglas, Delrin, PVC (or probably even wood) rod, a nail, a few high value resistors, a soldering iron, and a few layers of shrink tubing; you only have to know the native meter sensitivity. I must have made at least a dozen over the years.

4. WB2WIK

I do, too, for anything that's adjustable or varying.

DMMs are generally high-Z and easily damaged by HV even with a multiplier probe.

Good ol' analog VOM with a 1 mA FS capability can become "any kind of meter" if you want it to.

5. KA9JLM

OK. Mine is only rated for 1000V.

I use a HV probe that goes up to 40 KV. Originally used for TV in the day when a CRT was the norm.

If the caps are original or 1 is bad I would replace all of them and the resistors.

6. WB2WIK

The Simpson 260-5Ps I have include a 5kV jack and scale.
    [​IMG]

KA9JLM likes this.
  7. G3YRO

KA9JLM likes this.
  8. KA9JLM

Is that 2500 Chinese volts ?

Their HTs are over rated on output power.

9. G3YRO

Well I've had one a couple of years . . . checked it against my Avo and other meters, and it's pretty accurate.

Given all its ranges, it's quite a useful Multimeter (and very good value)

Roger G3YRO

10. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like you are not driving amp hard enough....

At the end of your 'tune up' procedure how many watts is your exciter driving into the amp?

You should be advancing the Load Control during tune up - not decreasing it.