ad: Radclub22-1

Yaesu Announces FT-70DR 5W Dual-Band C4FM HT

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Mar 21, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess part of my confusion is the fact that UHF is useless where I am located. 2m rules the roost and I can remember the last time I even went into the UHF side of my HT. Most UHF repeaters in the area are co-located with a vhf counterpart which gets most traffic. In general VHF/UHF here is dead.

I get people in other places are using DV but around here no-one has invested in that tech either. An analog 2m mobile what we all run and it gets the job done for us. I'm sure if I lived somewhere else I'd have a different perspective.

It's just puzzling to me why Yaesu has invested so much time in DV when their HF line is aging horribly and failing to keep up with trends. Their high end rigs are nice, their entry rig (450) is on par for that level, but between?

No response to the SDR trend, no response to the new wave of portable rigs (how old is the 817 design???). Nothing stellar in the midrange. Again, my perspective is warped but ICOM seems to do digital just as well, and their HF stuff is selling like hotcakes.

I want to see Yaesu and Kenwood succeed, as competition keeps tech improving and keeps prices down...

2. W8FLH

W8FLH Ham Member QRZ Page

My first right was an FT-11R. It was over $300 new and only 2m. Haha

3. AE7RZ

AE7RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

What does this have to do with the FT-70DR?

4. KK6WPX

KK6WPX Ham Member QRZ Page

Does this have the Yaesu ARTS?

5. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

$200 for the early adopters. I'm guessing it won't be priced much differently than the FT-60 is now, maybe $159 or $169? Great release.

6. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am in So Cal and 70cm is massive. Main repeater i/o and many link frequencies are on 70cm here. Just depends on where you are. I also realize I am in a VHF/UHF mecca.
    :)

AD0MI likes this.
  7. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

I also have to wonder why they are obsessed with digital voice and nothing else. Not only the radios but the repeaters and network under their tight control. I do use Fusion, also D-Star, DMR, and P25. I also am interested in 2m SSB. Yaesu used to lead the pack in weak signal VHF/UHF and satellite gear. They don't seem interested in it anymore nor in HF. I love my FT-817 but it really is showing it's age.

8. KG5EXW

KG5EXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Since there is nothing on the Yaesu corporate site yet the only information we have is from the gigaparts shill. I wrote to Yaesu this AM for further details (operator manual) but have not heard back as of this PM.

9. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably a menu system like Icom's ID-31A/51A. It's the price you pay for very small. I have the ID-31A but use it on my hotspot most of the time so I just select things on the computer screen then walk around with the HT talking on it.

10. KN0DE

KN0DE Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-60R VS FT-70DR.

FT-60R:
    Price: 155.00$ (From Gigaparts)
    Features:

• Over 1000 Memory Channels w/Alpha-numeric Labels
    • Ten Memory Banks for Channel Allocation
    • High Power Output: 5 Watts
    • Long-life FNB-83 (7.2 V/1400 mAh) and Overnight Charger included
    • CTCSS and DCS Encode/Decode, with Split Tone and DCS Encode-only Capability
    • One-Touch NOAA Weather Access
    • NOAA Severe Weather Alert with Alert Scan
    • Nine DTMF Auto-Dialer Memories
    • Two Front Panel Programmable Keys
    • Convenient Access Key for Vertex Standard’s WIRES™ (Wide-coverage Internet Repeater Enhancement System)
    • RF Squelch (only passes signals exceeding programmed level)
    • Mono-band and Memory-only Operating Modes
    • Rugged Die-cast, Water-resistant Case Construction
    • Huge LCD Display
    • Transmit Time-Out Timer (TOT) and Automatic Power-Off (APO)
    • Automatic Repeater Shift (ARS)
    • YAESU’s exclusive ARTS™ (Auto-Range Transponder System) which "beeps" the user when you move out of communications range

FT-70DR:
    Price: 199.95$ (From Gigaparts)
    Features:
    • C4FM (System Fusion)
    • IP54 Rating (Dust/ Water Protection) construction
    • Wide band receive coverage of 108 – 579.995MHz
    • Versatile Scanning Capabilities such as Programmable VFO Scan
    • Memory Scan
    • Priority Channel Scan
    • External DC Jack for DC Supply Operation and to Charge the Battery
    • Mini USB port for convenient programming and software updates
    • CTCSS/ DCS Operation
    • Automatic Power Off (AFO) feature
    • RF Squelch
    • Transmitter Time Out Timer (TOT)
    • Busy Channel Lock-Out (BCLO)
    Note: This is information off of gigaparts.com that I have compiled, so there may be missing information on BOTH of the radios shown.

73'
    Luke KM6DJS

11. W5YAG

W5YAG Ham Member QRZ Page

This is my main concern as well. The Fusion is almost useless without the WiRES-X controls.

KG5EXW likes this.
  12. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

Why is that?

I've had quite a few Yaesu radios over the years. Including the ft1dr and the ft2dr. I have yet to find a need or a system that uses the Wires-X. Is it a regional thing? I don't think there is much Wires-X here in SoCal. I'm not really sure what it is used for other than linking.

Don.

13. W0MUD

W0MUD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Kenwood Dstar HT is over $600. Icom Dstar HT is $400. $200 for a dual band YSF HT. Pretty darn good to me. I just hope Yaesu keeps on making the FT-60. A bit of a disclaimer... I do own the FTM100 and the FTM400. I really do like YSF.

KN0DE and (deleted member) like this.
  14. K4BWG

K4BWG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No GPS rx, APRS, or Bluetooth? ugh

KG5EXW likes this.
  15. AD0MI

AD0MI Ham Member QRZ Page

Don, there is actually quite a bit of WiresX near you. We get check ins every week from 8-10 guys out there from Santa Rosa to San Diego. Here is one of them I remember the call of (WB6AJE) http://www.socalham.com/