Yaesu 857D LCD repair options

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KK4YDR, Sep 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

All the 857s I have run into have the stripes problem as well as the 897s. I worked on an 897 and the display was so zebra'd up it was almost unreadable. My 857D has one missing line and I knock on wood that there won't be more!So I treat my 857D like it is FILLED WITH NITROGLYCERIN as the slightest bump or temp change may cause more lines to go out.
    I am also bummed at Yaesu that they won't repair these like a warranty deal. But then the new displays they put in are just as subject for going bad as well. They have a similar problem with the very pricey FTdx5000MP, where the Little displays grow white lines. They also refuse to address that issue and have the sales people who do conventions pre-programmed at just what to say when Hams question them on it.
    The other manufacturers have similar issues, Icom has the IC-52 disease in 746PROS and Kenwoods have a DOT DISEASE on their displays for units like TS-940S and TS-450s.
    So all MFRs have coverups. Probably the highest quality builder is ELECRAFT. never heard of a problem on a K3!

2. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep in mind folks Icom took a lot of grief over this same issue with the IC-756, the displays didn't fail right away some of them took eight to ten years plus to fail. I was not happy about shelling out $320.00 for my replacement display and having to spend an afternoon installing it myself.

3. WA4DRM

WA4DRM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wasn't too happy with what Yaesu charged me to replace the LCD in my FT-857D that had the vertical lines but I was more un-happy that within three months the new display had the same problems. I have found that mine is worse when it gets cool and warming the control unit a bit will allow it to work till it gets cool again.

4. K5VV

K5VV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have two 857Ds here, both bought used. No problems with either. One spends its life in the truck, with the Louisiana sun, heat, and humidity. It's usually covered when not in use.

Fingers are crossed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.