Yaesu 857D LCD repair options

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KK4YDR, Sep 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

I am welcoming any repair options and advice for my Yaesu 857D LCD. It has zebra lines all through it. I read many articles about this and how the connections on the ribbon cable are basically glued to the PCB. Yaesu told me they would sell me a new LCD and install it into mine for $200.00 ... what a rip off. Why cant they just reconnect my LCD to the wires that are already there. Anyone have any success with fixing this issue?

Thanks.

kk4ydr

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The information you garnered about the wires being glued is incorrect. The fix is exactly the one Yaesu recommended. You can buy the part yourself, and save a few dollars. However, you'll need a surface-mount, hot air rework station to do the job correctly, and they cost about $150 to $200.

3. KK4YDR

Oh good lord so Yaesu makes and sells a defective explicit word here radio ... and then have the gall to charge this much money for it? Makes me wonder if I will ever buy another Yaecrap product again. This is just ridiculous. I would understand if I broke the thing and I know almost every single 857D has this issue down the road at some time. ICOM you have my business from now on.

4. KH6AQ

KH6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

5. K0BG

Well, don't blame Yaesu—they don't make the LCD display. All LCD displays can have the issue. The above blog link explains why it happens, over time. I keep mine covered when not being used for this very reason. And just for the record...

TFT (twist) LCD displays are made a bit different, and are less susceptible to degradation from environmental ambients. The only mobile transceiver I know which uses one is the IC-7000, and it is no longer made. Perhaps we've taken a step backwards.

KA8UGB likes this.
  6. KK4YDR

From the site / http://sv8ym.blogspot.com/2010/10/does-your-ft-857-display-look-like.html

"The flexible ribbon is attached to the LCD glass with epoxy material." Sounds pretty glued to me... oh well... its a nice radio except for the badly engineered display.

And to think I just sold my IC-7000 sigh. I knew they were discontinued but I was using for a base anyways. It didn't really like to mobile environment too voltage sensitive. The Yaesu just runs and runs and runs... save for the bad LCD>

7. K0BG

Too voltage sensitive? Well, it will shut itself off at about 11.7 volts, but by that time the IMD can be heard within the bandpass! Same basic thing happens with the 857, but it doesn't shut itself off until the voltage drops to about 11.2.

8. KH6AQ

KH6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

What can you do but send it back to Yaesu to be repaired properly. Then it can be sold as a solid unit.

9. KK4YDR

Oh don't get me wrong... yaesu really pissed me off with the way they handle these radios. It would be like GM making a car that in almost every model the engine was guaranteed to blow at 75,000 miles. They know this and the public knows this and the only option they are offering their valued customers is to charge them tons of money to repair a problem with design. I know some of you are hardcore diehard yaesu fanatics and I get that. They make outstanding equipment as I absolutely love my 857D but I am just flabbergasted at the abhorrent nature with which they are offering dastardly repair charges for something they screwed up. Almost every 857 has this issue. Do the research.

I will yield and pay yaesu to repair my radio only because the radio is a rock solid performer and the fact that I am left with no other options as per this and other forums. I do not intend to sell it. There isn't much in the world left that can do V/UHF sideband anymore.

10. K0BG

I don't agree with this statement:
    If that were true, you'd see this issue on every blog, and you don't! Yaesu has sold nearly as many 857s as Icom sold 706s. That means the number is ≈60,000 units. So the phrase almost every just doesn't fit with reality.

Similar information about a proposed cooling issue about the 706, prompted several published articles (even in QST) about it. In the final analysis, the issue was a none issue, and so is the one on the 857.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.