ad: Radclub22-1

WWV Discontinuing Operations?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AD7I, Aug 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Which I never mentioned! My posts were all about VVW - not WWVB!

2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

The Amateur Radio Retrograde Lobby? :rolleyes: :p (a reference to the image of their present BoD)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    W7ASA likes this.
  3. KX4O

KX4O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Understood and fair enough. I'm just concerned our discussion focus on just WWV/WWVH, originally caused by erroneous "reporting" by SWLing.com and no checks in the ARRL repost, is leading many to miss the point WWVB is on the chopping block.

4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not a bad idea but the NPS is apparently selling off properties too. :eek:

My suggestion would be make their facilities a public-private sponsored active MUSEUM. Part of the Smithsonian Institution. I haven't seen anything about them trimming their $1.2B budget of which a lot comes from the Fed.

Add fee based recreational tours and educational element, voluntarily staffed, and the present service mission could be further commercialized. Get the operation a lot closer to self-funding.

Or totally private like as mentioned the Maritime Radio Historical Society, or how about this interesting ex-gov site with its amateur radio friendly discone antenna (!)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  5. AK2M

AK2M Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought T-shirts and other souvenirs when we toured the NRAO in West Virginia last year. I would definitely add WWV to a vacation intinerary for tours and merchandise if I were out that way.

AC7DD likes this.
  6. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just to clarify my suggestion further, even if the political climate demands streamlining, I still think the NIST should maintain and operate the time and frequency standards. However, the burdens of broadcasting by radio perhaps could be picked up by others with the NIST and others supplying their data as basic content.

An out-of-the-box idea; promote & online auction off opportunities to upload a clip and be "The Voice" doing the time announcing. There are only SIXTY of such revenue generating "spots" available each hour (!) I bet a lot of celebs and others with excessive discretionary funds would bid up for that status. Tell all your social media friends when you'll be on-the-air declaring "At the tone XX hours NN minutes, coordinated universal time ..."

There are 525,600 minutes in a year. At only $10 a minute that = $5,256,000. That nearly covers the entire proposed budget reduction. :cool:

I would pay $10 for one shot even if in the middle of the night. :D

AK2M likes this.
  7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it's about time!

(I couldn't resist, sorry!)

8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

FYI, here's a great paper about WWVB written to commemorate it's 50th anniversary in 2014. It's original purpose was as a LF frequency reference, free of the ionospheric distortion that HF based WWV suffers, but today serves primarily as a time-of-day standard for all those "atomic" clocks out there.

Some good reading!

https://ws680.nist.gov/publication/get_pdf.cfm?pub_id=914782

KX4O and AC7DD like this.
  9. N0CTL

N0CTL Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a lot of cuts on that list that are troubling..

10. AE7EE

AE7EE Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a lot of digital clocks out there that will be rendered useless by this decision. Who comes up with these decisions, anyway? Sounds like time to write my congressman...

11. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

The Orange Cheetohead nominated this guy for NIST director

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017...fer-seen-top-priorities-nist-director-nominee

And then ordered him to reduce NIST budget by 30%

He did, and this is the result; the proposed budget is forwarded from the Whitehouse.

Look at all the science and research being cut!

You can figure out the agenda.

Yeah, call and write Congress critters. But next time, pick a better president.

AC7DD likes this.
  12. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "It's original purpose was as a LF frequency reference, free of the ionospheric distortion that HF based WWV suffers,"

Heathkit plant on Hilltop Road in ST Joseph used this technique; 10 MHz was developed from a local correctable "reference" and an HP 117A LF rcvr was used to correct that local 10 MHz reference which was then delivered to all the engineering cubes ...

"A VLF Comparator for Relating Local Frequency to U. S. Standards" using the HP117A:
    http://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/pdfs/IssuePDFs/1964-10.pdf and
    http://www.prc68.com/I/117A.shtml

13. AA5CT

re: "He did, and this is the result;"

ALOTTACUTS in en-viro stuff too, if ya look at it ... what should the core responsibility at NIST be? Something to do with, um "standards" maybe?

14. AA5CT

re: "Which gets me back to my point. Ham's don't need NIST traceable frequency standard"

I've posted not just a few times now of an application where a 10 MHz GPSDO at a 2-way radio manufacturer was verified each day with 10 MHz WWV; this was done to answer the plant managers's question: "How do you know your GPSDO box is working?"

15. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Silly! It's solar powered...