ad: w5yi

WSPR with Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'RFinderPi - Open Source radio interface based on R' started by K8MCN, Oct 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8MCN

K8MCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

After reading the latest QST article about WSPR with Raspberry Pi, I recently acquired a Raspberry PI 3,and just received the Raspberry Pi QRP TX Shield for WSPR on 20 Meters from TAPR. The idea of spending so little money and being capable to transmit WSPR is awesome.
    I have followed all the direction,and think i have the correct software loaded, the shield attached to a resonant antenna etc...but here is where i REALLY get stupid..i can not figure out how to use the commands to make the shield transmit WSPR>
    i have read a few tutorials, but they are way over my head...really would appreciate an Elmer with experience to help me, or some one to point out some links for "Dummies trying WSPR on Raspberry P" hihi.
    i have gotten this far "

You should run a terminal on RPi while having internet and execute those commands one by one:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

sudo apt-get install git

git clone https://github.com/JamesP6000/WsprryPi.git

cd WsprryPi
    make
    attached the TAPR TX shield
    attached resonant 20 meter dipole

and ready to try to transmit and see if any worldwide beacons catchme.........

but need instruction on how to transmit and synch the PI with accurate time...is there a graphical software interface to use like the WSPR program for windoze, or must everything be run from the terminal via command line.....you don't know how much any help would be appreciated..this method excites me to try but after..mooonbounce,scatter,HF, most digital modeds etc.this one has me very curious ,but stumped/stupid as i look at it as very "leading edge stuff"
    tnx and 73 K8MCN

2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's the command line syntax according to https://github.com/JamesP6000/WsprryPi/

-Usage:
    - sudo ./wspr <[prefix]/callsign[/suffix]> <locator> <power in dBm> [<frequency in Hz> ...]
    - e.g.: sudo ./wspr PA/K1JT JO21 10 7040074 0 0 10140174 0 0
    - where 0 frequency represents a interval for which TX is disabled,
    - wspr-2 or wspr-15 mode selection based on specified frequency.

3. W5KV

W5KV Ham Member QRZ Page

K8MCN, I too just acquired a tapr board and an RPi3, did you have any success with KJ4VTH's notes?

4. OZ1H

OZ1H Ham Member QRZ Page

KB3ZYN likes this.
  5. K8MCN

K8MCN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

thank you....NTP is what i need, i think....................73

6. AE5X

AE5X Ham Member QRZ Page

KC3BZJ, KZ6TOD, KK4NSF and 2 others like this.
  7. WL7CG

WL7CG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just received my RPi3 in the mail today and will order the QRPi shield from TAPR next. Anyone thought about using one of the touch screen displays for it? Glad John posted some help on this.

8. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I have. I've not only thought about it... I've built several Pi units using 7" touchscreens. The best one I've found is the one from the Pi Foundation. Here is a link to one of the vendors: https://www.adafruit.com/products/2718

The beauty of that particular screen is that it works via the built-in video port, not the HDMI port, and it draws power from the Pi itself, so it's a very clean and easy installation. Some of the other displays that Adafruit sells use a separate driver board that can be a bit freaky sometimes and/or require additional power supplies.

To use the QRPi shield in conjunction with the Pi Display, you may want to get a GIPO ribbon cable ( https://www.adafruit.com/products/1988) so you can mount the shield anywhere you want it to be, instead of on top of the Pi.

9. WL7CG

WL7CG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My package arrived from TAPR today with the QRPi Shield. In the process of loading the WsprryPi program. Need to cook up a shortened 20M dipole that I use in the office. So far, so good.

10. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

....and how did it work?