WSJTX on Ubuntu Linux MATE with Yaesu FT991A

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by VE3GZB, Jul 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have two modern radios which I can use with WSJTX on Ubuntu MATE (Single board computer, ODROID XU4). I have the FT-991A and the IC-7300.

When I use the IC-7300 the performance and coordination between WSJTX and the radio is utterly flawless, like two well trained figure skaters.

However when I switch over to use the FT-991A (yes I have created two configuration profiles, one for each radio), I find there is an awful lot of stumbling and struggle at times for WSJTX to gain control over the FT-991A. It might work flawlessly in one session, then I shut down, log out, etc... come back later and the communications between WSJTX and the FT-991A is like two drunken angry hogs in the same pen fighting over a cob of corn.

I do disconnect the USB cable of the radio being unused from the single board computer, leaving only the one radio in use to be connected.

Drive levels seem to be especially fussy. I have for both radios left the on-screen "Pwr" slider at it's maximum and I set the digital drive gain within each radio, I don't want an accidental bump or click of the mouse to change the drive levels within WSJTX.

So I am able to set things up for minimal ALC deflection and 20 watts output on the FT-991A (and on the IC-7300). On the FT-991A if I change from, say 20m to 17m, the drive levels are completely incorrect, they are either too high or too low. And sometimes it's not even necessary to change bands, this can occur even within the same band (20m), if I shift to a different transmit audio frequency.

Nothing like this ever occurs with the IC-7300 interfaced to WSJTX, never even for a second. The digital interface remains constant, smooth, utterly perfected. BTW on both USB cables I have toroid ferrites installed in case of RF entering via the USB port.

My question then: Have there been any reported issues with the interface between WSJTX and the FT-991A on Ubuntu Linux MATE, or for that matter on any other platform, and if so have there been any effort to identify the cause and resolve it?

Thanks and 73s,
    geo VE3GZB

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  2. KN4PHS

KN4PHS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You stated everything but what version of WSJT-X you are running.

I have an FT-450D with CAT. In WSJT-X 1.9.1 version, it would not work with FLRIG or HAMLIB. Upgraded to WSJT-X 2.0.0 and everything now works.

Best regards,

KN4PHS

3. K7RJB

K7RJB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have similar problems with my FT991A and windows 7 on a dell Optiplex 9010.....

I am going to try a powered USB hub to act as a buffer.

I have tried a number of different cables and chokes with a wrap on both ends and port speeds.

Understand that with the SCU driver you must install the software first and then if you unplug the USB cable you must plug it back into the same physical port.
    Otherwise the driver has to be uninstalled and reinstalled to change the USB port.

Did Mate need special usb drivers/config for the 991?