WSJT-X vs JTDX - which is better?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KQ0J, May 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I heard anther ham recently saying that JTDX would get him twice as many decodes on the same radio / antenna setup as WSJT-X. Hard for me to believe that.

Anyone have any experience with both?

Thanks !

2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes................. JT-DX is far superior for deeper decoding into the noise.

KQ0J likes this.
  3. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I'm a JTDX user. Twice the decodes? no way. A few more? maybe. JTDX's big advantage, in my opinion, is more customization possibilities. Try it, you may like it.

W4NNF and KQ0J like this.
  4. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

I switched to JTDX because I got more decodes, wsjt-x for me kept locking up both tx and rx no idea why.
    tried reinstalling no difference.

KQ0J likes this.
  5. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Installed the latest beta of JTDX with FT8 support. Using the same settings as WSJTX, it doesn't seem to be receiving correctly - no decodes at all and the waterfall display looks strange. I'll have to play with it more...

6. KQ0J

Thanks for the replies! I installed JTDX last night and after a little manual reading and customization I got it up and running -
    will be experimenting with it this week. Also installed the JT Alert version for it - love that program!

W4RAV likes this.
  7. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

You did what????? Real hams do not read manuals.:eek:

Kidding, of course. Thank you for doing your part!;)

8. KG5THG

KG5THG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How much deeper into the noise?

9. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

I don't claim to be up to date on the latest developments, but I think the 'deeper' here means additional decoding attempts, with different algorithms/techniques, not new laws of physics.

Then there are some additional features, like the SWL, AGCc, low threshold, to mention just three of them.

10. KQ0J

I just did an interesting test - had a strong signal on 6 meters ( +02 ) that WSJT-X would not decode. I switched to JTDX and it decoded HH2MK first time and we made a contact. I saw the comments about JTDX and weak signal decodes but it apparently will decode some strong signals ( maybe that are not perfect ) better than WSJT-X as well.

Interesting.