ad: Alphaant-1

WSJT-X v2.0.0 by K1JT released - not compatible to earlier versions!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by DH2ID, Dec 11, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. DH2ID

DH2ID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WSJT-X 2.0.0 has been released by Joe Taylor K1JT and his contributors on December 10th.
    You can download the new version here: http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx.html

WARNING: Version 2.0.0 is not compatible to the earlier versions of WSJT-X,
    every station using WSJT-X is therefore asked to change over to version 2.0.0
    as soon as possible.

At this moment it's a hodgepodge, as I see a lot of hams still using 1.9.1 and a few 2.0.0.

This is a splash screen when starting the program:

WSJT-X 2.0.0.jpg

73 and a merry xmas from Karlsruhe/Germany

Alex - DH2ID

W4LJ, HB9GNK, KA0HCP and 2 others like this.
  2. DH2ID

DH2ID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. DJ7WL/SK2022

DJ7WL/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

All bands are very quiet to day, i believe all hams, also like me, setup wsjt-x v2.0.0 for correct function.
    Vy 73 Joachim DJ7WL

W8CPS likes this.
  4. KG4IXS

KG4IXS Ham Member QRZ Page

When the ratio of v1.9 to v2.0 users shifts more in favor of 2.0 users, I'll update then. Right now, it's about a average of 20:1 as reported by PSKReporter raw data (on 10 meters, anyways), meaning for every 20 v1.9 users, there's only 1 v2.0 user. I think I'll just stay 'outdated' and work those 20 and pass up that 1 v2.0 contact. Now when the ratio gets even or shifts more towards v2.0, that's a different story.

Besides, you'll always have those people that don't upgrade the software, and those are the people that will start to complain and put down FT8 because -they- can't work/decode anyone, and they'll move on to something else, when in all reality, it's their lack of keeping staying updated that's holding them back ... Oh well.

WA9WSJ, KC0MFW, K7UWR and 1 other person like this.
  5. W0EA

W0EA Ham Member QRZ Page

You're literally part of the problem.

KD2KIQ, K6JO, W0IIT and 30 others like this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

An interesting parallel to the Evolve or Die cry from some progressive Zed types. Let their tears now be revealed.

KI7BKL, WD0BCT and VK6APZ/SK2022 like this.
  7. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem is a lack of understanding of protocol versioning on the part of the authors.

8. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This will all solve itself when the 1.9x software dies... Hopefully a kill switch was added, (and will be implemented), to the old release version at some point... It is time to upgrade folks...

W0IIT likes this.
  9. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't see how any user is "part of the problem" due to not upgrading immediately. There's no obligation to upgrade until there's no one left to talk to. I think proprietary tech that locks access to said tech behind a brand name, i.e. System Fusion, is a bigger problem than a number of HAMs not wanting to upgrade software.

W6OBB, MM0HVU, WJ4U and 2 others like this.
  10. N4CC

N4CC Ham Member QRZ Page

Skip the philosophy and reasons why or why not...just upgrade as the authors request. Why is something so simple so difficult!

WB9AZA, PE1KWE, K7FTQ and 39 others like this.
  11. W0EA

W0EA Ham Member QRZ Page

very selfish way of looking at the problem if you ask me it but you're entitled to your opinion.

K9CTB and WU8Y like this.
  12. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Very Freudian slip :)

"Let's eat, Grandma" vs. "Let's eat Grandma" ;)

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

UT7UX, AK9S, W2RMT and 13 others like this.
  13. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

The software is GPL3. That makes it completely open-source, and that was the authors' decision.

Open source authors don't get to demand or control how their users use the software. It's part of the license.

I have a number of OSS projects published on my website. People can (and have) lift(ed) those projects to integrate into their own products or projects. I can't control how they do that, or if they do that, or what decisions they make when they use the source for their own purposes. As long as they comply with the license terms, they are free to do so.

The authors can release a new version that completely breaks functionality for prior users, and that's fine, and their right. But it's the users' right to determine how, when, or if they will use the new version or the old version or both.

That's just how OSS works.

W9MRH, MM0HVU, K2NCC and 1 other person like this.
  14. KG5GCC

KG5GCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I wont be upgrading. WSJT-X lost me when they took away the ability to move the TX slider along the waterfall with 1 click. Some of us do use touchscreens with no physical keyboard to press "CTRL" while clicking ya know.
    I've seen a lot of folks say the transition went smoothly to 2.0, and I have also seen as many posts of others who have had problems.
    And if you have any problems or comments about the program the WSJT-X fanboys will sing "RTFM" like a bunch of trained parrots. Real friendly bunch of folks.
    All of it just makes me soooo eager to upgrade :rolleyes:
    Using JTDX V18.1.106 now and I couldn't be happier with it. To each his own.

W5CJA likes this.
  15. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I will have to give JTDX a try - I hadn't looked at it much before and just did. I see that it supports JT as well as FT.

Do you know if it will be supporting BOTH the older and new 2.0 FT8 versions? From their site, it appears it only supports the "old" FT8 with no mention of 2.0 FT8

Dave
    W7UUU

MM0HVU likes this.