WSJT-X Full-Auto mod

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by SQ9FVE, Mar 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Regarding my CODEC issue. Coincidences can really throw you off the 'right path'.

Connected my laptop to the IC-7300. The laptop has not received the latest Win 10 update. Still not working. That told me Win 10, at least this time around, was not at fault.

Uploaded the IC-7300 settings from the SD card, problem solved.

Why/how the IC-7300 configuration got corrupted is still unknown to me. The fact that it happened at the same moment as a Win 10 update made me waste 2 days. Well, not totally wasted. In my attempts to fix it, I did a major clean up on my desktop PC. I seems to be running better now.

W4RAV likes this.
  2. SQ9FVE

SQ9FVE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi all, modded RC7 but weren't able to test much, please have a look and let me know in case of any issues.

Thanks!

3. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with everything you said. I want to add that under the GNU license, charging for this is illegal.
    John
    K4AGO

4. K4AGO

Yes you are missing something. WSJTx is open source under the GNU license and you may not use the code in anything you sell.

5. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think that's quite right.

You can sell products that use GPL code from other people. There's nothing wrong with that.

You just have to release the source code that falls under the GPL, free of charge, and if you derived from the GPL by adding to or modifying the code, you have to release the derivative work, as well.

HRD (specifically DM780) has had GPL code in it for a very long time, yet they sell their "product."

Edit: Here's a short excerpt from the Preamble of GPLv3:

..if you distribute copies of such a program, whether gratis or for a fee, you must pass on to the recipients the same freedoms that you received. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their rights.

6. K4AGO

This is true... Except, they are forbidden to sell the modified code under the license. This guy is selling the modified WSJTX program on ebay.
    John
    K4AGO

7. K4AGO

Dr. Taylor has specifically said that you may use the code but you may NOT sell anything with his code in it.
    John

8. K4AGO

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  9. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Once he released it under GPL v3, he gave up the right to make such restrictions. That's part of the license, too. The recipient of the software inherits the full rights of the License terms.

The WSJT-X team says a lot of things about how people will or should or must use or not use their software. Under the GPLv3, most of those claims are null and void.

If they wanted the right to make such restrictions, they should have picked another licensing model.

ND6M likes this.
  10. K4AGO

Redacted