WSJT Need help keeping the correct sound card selected please

Discussion in 'Rig Control, Propagation, Cluster, & Other Softwar' started by K3TD, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3TD

K3TD Ham Member QRZ Page

First I would like to thank Andy K3UK, Joe W4TV, Bill W5WVO and Randy
    WA5UFH for their help in getting me through the initial set up with my
    microKEYER and USB device router!

Now I am stuck on a problem with my sound card selection. I am running
    9.02 r2226 on a pc running xp media edition to my IC-7700 via the
    microKEYER.

I have two sound cards in my PC. The original one (Realtec AC97) is
    part of the mother board and I use it only for the driving the PC
    speakers since it was a problem getting it to work with the microKEYER.
    For my ham radio applications I installed a second sound card (C-Media
    wave device) that has worked trouble free with N1MM for voice keying
    during contests.

I used Setup | Options on the main WSJT 9.02 window to select the
    C-Media wave device card. The result was I could key the transmitter,
    but no tones were transmitted and there was no indication of tones being
    received (no waterfall, etc) even when I could hear I was tuned to a signal.

After checking the SpecJT window Options | RX volume control and TX
    volume control, I discovered that the audio mixers are set for my
    Realtec AC97 sound card. I can select Options | properties in the mixer
    and then select the C-Media Wave device, but when I close the mixer and
    open it again it has gone back to the Realtec AC97 sound card.

Anyone have any ideas for me on this?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

re: WSJT sound sources

Did you select the sound card input/output in WSJT that you want to use??? You don't do that with the mixer, but inside the setup of WSJT.

Dave
    K3DCW

3. K3TD

K3TD Ham Member QRZ Page

re: WSJT sound sources

Hi Dave, and thanks for the reply. Yes, I did set the sound card input/output I wanted to use by going to Setup | Options on the main window - the one labeled WSJT 9.02 by K1JT. I verified it is set to the sound card I want - the C-Media Wave sound card. However, when I go to the SpecJT window and select Option | RX volume control (or TX volume control), it shows me the mixer for the other sound card, the Realtec AC97. If I select Options on the mixer window, and then select Properties, I can scroll to the C-Media Wave card and select it, but when I close the mixer window it reverts right back to the Realtac AC97.

Any ideas? And thank you for trying to help me!

73!

4. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

WSJT Need help keeping the correct sound card selected

Which OS are you using? XP?

Also, which mode in WSJT? JT-65A??

Instead of playing with the mixers, have you tried adjusting the sliders along the bottom of the SpecJT window to see if you can get the signal to show up? I have never needed to adjust the mixer settings using the SpecJT options in either XP or now in Win7.

In Win7, I can't open the Rx volume control from the SpecJT window at all, but I can open the Tx volume mixer with no problem. In XP running on a virtual machine on my Mac, it always defaults to the default sound card on the "computer", which in your case is the Realtek, and I have to manually select the other sound card which would be your cMedia, so it sounds like that is normal operation for this particular app.

Now, if you are looking at doing JT65, then I would consider using JT65-HF instead of WSJT for software....definitely easier to setup and use, however it ONLY does JT-65.

Double check those sliders (contrast, brightness and digital gain) to see if you can bring the levels up. On my Win7 machine, I don't have to do this. On my XP machine, I did have to tweak these settings. That may be your problem.

Hope this helps.

Dave
    K3DCW

5. K3TD

K3TD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Dave,

I am using XP media edition. I am also using JT-65A, but will be using mainly FSK441 and ISCAT on 50 MHz once I get everything to play so trying JT-65HF will not help me.

I don't think adjusting the sliders will work because I am also unable to transmit tones. I key the transmitted fin, but no tones.

6. K3DCW

And how is your audio out from the computer connected to the Icom? What kind of cable/interface? Are you trying to feed it into the mic or into an acc port?

Also, double check that you are plugged into the right sound card on the back of the computer. I've made that mistake a time or two in my life.

Beyond that, I'm not really certain what the problem could be. Have you tried to completely remove then reinstall WSJT?

Dave
    K3DCW

7. K3TD

K3TD Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, the sound card and rig interface I am trying to use work great with N1MM and the DXLabSuite of Programs. I think I will try your suggestion to remove and reinstall WSJT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.