WQ5OO

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W7EDC, Jul 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
  1. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Canada contest calling with this call...but the callsign shows as a NA call from LA in QRZ..???

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I am confused as to just what the concern is.

3. KM4SII

KM4SII Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here, K7MH. It's a Canadian contest but anyone can participate so I don't see what the problem of having WQ5OO working the contest is.

4. W7EDC

I guess I thought there needed to be an identifier if he was that far from home QTH. I was just worried a Canada station pirated his NA call...

I will go back under my rock.

5. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

There would be if he were in Canada!
    As mentioned, anyone can operate in that contest. It is not limited to Canadians. He was probably calling CQ to get the attention of the Canadians that were working the contest.
    Usually in a contest like that, we work the Canadians for points and they work each other and everyone else for points. Sometimes they let anyone work anyone but have different point amounts for different areas. Maybe 3 for Canadian contacts and 1 point for all others or something like that. Usually a quick look at the rules will always sort out any concerns or questions.

6. W7EDC

I understand anyone can call for a contact... At the time I though someone IN CANADA WAS USING HIS CALL. that is all.

7. AL4Y

AL4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

What's an NA call?

8. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

North America (U.S.) ?? :confused:;)

9. AL4Y

AL4Y Ham Member QRZ Page

That doesn’t make sense in context. Canada is part of North America.

W7EDC likes this.