ad: elecraft

Wouxun KG-UVD1P Blank Display

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W1GVT, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1GVT

W1GVT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had this radio for a few years - lightly used. I haven't used it for about 4 months. I recharged the battery and when I turned it on the display backlight comes on and the radio boots - that is, it "talks" to me - but the display is blank. All the keys and functions seem to work as I cycle through the keys and change channels and it transmits & receives - just no display.

Has anyone experienced this and is there a key combination to reset to factory default (as a last resort) prior to tossing the thing? Thanks.

2. K6LCS

K6LCS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes - there are two reset procedures ... covered in your manual. Or search for "wouxun manual" - there are a couple "improved" re-written manuals for your radio that also have the reset procedures.

3. W1GVT

Thanks. I've tried that but without being able to see the display I'm not getting very far. I'll try connecting via the programming cable tonight when I get home and see if that allows anything, otherwise I think I'm toast.

4. K3SFX

K3SFX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the same problem. Still not resolved.

Lee

5. W1GVT

I pulled it apart and found a small ribbon cable connector on the board in the "unlocked" position and loose. Reseated it and still no joy so I'm guessing the LCD screen itself may have bitten the dust - maybe from heat? Probably not worth horsing around with it anymore!

6. W1GVT

Lee, you might try this. After deciding to toss the thing I put it in the freezer last night. This morning when I took it out and turned it on it was working properly -and still is. Although I first thought the cold may have affected a solder connection I'm guessing the display had got too much heat or sunlight directed to it and the cold made it better???

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  7. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting hint, will file it away. I have heard of this helping bad hard discs.

I wonder if the freezer treatment would help me. Don't think I would fit tho.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

8. W1GVT

The hard disk in the freezer trick does work. I've used it once however if you do that you should immediately pull all your data off the disk upon removal from the freezer as it is a good bet the disk will fail.

9. VK5IR

VK5IR Ham Member QRZ Page

After using my KG-UVD1P in the car for the last 3 years (I never take it out of the car) I noticed one morning that the display was starting to look as if the text was "wearing" away. This got worse over a short period where it now does not show anything. I did have some luck during a few cold mornings, but nothing since. I might try the freezer trick and see how it goes. My backlight functions fine.

I guess if I spent 24 hours a day in a car and stick with it for over 3 South Australian Summers I'd probably be pretty screwed as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.