ad: vanity

Wouxun KG-UV6D

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K2KHA, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-sarc
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-innov
  1. K2KHA

K2KHA Ham Member QRZ Page

I just received the Wouxun KG-UV6D from Wouxun.us and I am very impressed with how well this new version of the Wouxun's performs. I have had a KG-UVD1P in the past and I absolutely loved that. I'm not sure why I ever sold it.

Anyways, when you open the new UV6D box you open it to a big WARNING card that says to not use the old KG-UV2D or KG-UVD1P's saves with with new UV6D otherwise it would brick the radio. Fortunately Wouxun released a new updated software that wont allow you to load old saves so you cannot brick the radio. Unfortunately you cannot use the old programming saves at all with the UV6D. That warning card as far as I know, is no longer needed. You get the manual, radio itself, antenna, the upgraded 1700mAh battery and of course you get the standard drop in charger and a belt clip as well.

The radio is the same feel as the old models, same texture, but it has some improved ergonomics for the hand. The PTT and two other buttons for LED and FM radio are raised from the side of the radio unlike other models. Feels really nice with thick strong plastic. This one is rated IP55 for Water Jets. The antenna connector has a gasket around it for water resistance, as well as the two pads where the battery connects. The antenna is still reverse SMA but I see companies like Diamond are making antennas specifically for the Wouxun's now. It still has all of the same buttons and button locations other than the new RPT button above the A/B selection button. The new RPT button changes your repeater offsets making it extremely easy to change to say the simplex side of a repeater. Prior to that button you had to go into menu 26 (menu 25 on older versions) and change SFT-D and I'm not even sure it would let you do so if you had it already programmed in as something other than what you wanted to change it to. The new button makes things extremely easy to change offsets, definitely a great feature.

Powering on the radio you get the same thing as all of the previous versions of the radio but it says KGUV6D on the screen. The screen is a little more tined orange of a color from my last KG-UVD1P. It's still white backlighting, but it has ever so slightly of an orange tint. My last KG-UVD1P had a blueish white screen. When going into menu you have the same thing as the old versions but on the step you have a choice to go to 2.5Khz step. The 2.5Khz step was added as a request of people who need the radio for narrow banding in 2013 since the radio can already do narrow band transmit. The only thing that I've noticed that has changed in the menu is that menu 21 changed to selecting what the new RPT button does. Prior menu 21 was selecting whether you wanted frequency, channel, name, etc.

This radio still has the same great receiver in it, and still measures 5W+ on a fresh charge. I remember the KG-UVD1P already had absolute crazy battery life lasting days upon days with normal use, and now I can't even get this KG-UV6D's battery to die so I can give it a fresh charge. It's battery life is absolutely phenomenal. The drop in charger is something you don't see from the three big HT producers, it's usually an extra accessory so it's nice to see Wouxun is still including that. The drop in charger charges the battery very quickly. The flashlight is still there which is an excellent feature, and the FM radio seems to be improved and it pulls in nearly any FM radio station I throw at it. The UV6D still does have the voice synthesizer for people who are vision impaired.

There is nothing bad I can say about this radio other than I wish they hadn't changed menu 21 to the repeater button function because it screws me up now when I want to change into menu mode, otherwise I have no complaints. I've worked into repeaters and some simplex with excellent audio reports, and modulation is great. For $175 there's no going wrong.

Here is a video review from me as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qou03EYA9wQ

KF7IYQ

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  2. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the excellent informative report.

3. KC9DTO

KC9DTO Ham Member QRZ Page

iam thinking of picking this radio up. can you tell me does the radio work crossbanding rec on uhf while tx on vhf thanks kc9dto

4. K2KHA

K2KHA Ham Member QRZ Page

It does not. Not many handhelds as far as I know, have this feature.

5. K6LCS

K6LCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

>> ... does the radio work crossbanding rec on uhf while tx on vhf ...

> ... Not many handhelds as far as I know, have this feature ...

Most of the current Yaesu HTs do this. I use the FT-60R for working the FM LEO satellites all the time. In a single memory channel, it can be programmed to receive 440 and transmit on 2M.

6. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if they changed the KG-UV6D.
    I can only tell you how the KG-UV2D and KG-UVD1P work. I assume the 6 is the same.
    You can program separate tx/rx frequencies in the memory channels.
    You can also have two frequencies (VFOs or memories) in the A/B display and it will scan them both rapidly (dual watch).
    It is not full duplex and it doesn't have simultaneous dual receive. Whichever display opens the squelch first is active until the squelch closes.
    If a signal comes up on the other display you will not hear anything until the squelch closes on the first one.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  7. AK4MQ

AK4MQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The UV-2D will do this, and probably so will the UV-6D (they're very similar radios). I've got a memory channel or two programmed in this manner on my own radio.

8. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I just bought an FT-60R yesterday. Good information to know...

9. K6LCS

K6LCS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

>> ... I just bought an FT-60R ...

One-page manual programming cheat sheet on the DOCS page at: http://www.k6lcs.com

Work the FM ham satellites with your FT-60: http://www.work-sat.com

Manually program "split freq" mode: about page 28 of your owners manual.

Clint K6LCS
    909-241-7666

10. KD8DVR

KD8DVR Ham Member QRZ Page

My 1D's do it too. Radio works great for sats :)

11. SV4NLA

SV4NLA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a KG-UVD1P. It's a good value for money choice for a simple & solid handheld radio like that! The only disadvantage is its small battery capacity, only 1300 mAh. So I bought an eliminator for car or home use. Through a Diamond MR77 magnetic mount antenna I have very good access to a few local repeaters transmitting with 1 Watt only. Hmm, another disadvantage is that I can't turn on permanently the screen's backlight, compared to the Baofeng UV-X4 pocket handheld radio! :rolleyes: Nevermind! Wouxun is a nice cheap radio! Can't compare it with an Icom or a Yaesu, Kenwood etc, but it's cool! :cool:

12. KD8DVR

KD8DVR Ham Member QRZ Page

You can get a 1700 mAh battery. Even with the 1500 pack, life is awesome. The 1300 really isn't bad either.

13. KJ4JGN

KJ4JGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a KG-UVD1P, never any problems, as well as the Baofeng UV-3R, I hate to say it, but they both are working great, and for less than 150.00$, I cant say enough about them. Cross band, no, by two, and you can!

14. SV4NLA

SV4NLA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, the Wouxun now is in my poor shack. I take it with me outdoor rarely, so the 1300 pack is ok. From now and on I'm going to invest on equipment where the real magic is: HF! :)

73 de SV4NLA, Matthaios

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.