Wouxun KG-UV3D & KG-UV2D Differences?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by K3KN, Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K3KN

K3KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone know the difference between the UV3D and UV2D models? Seems that powerwerx is the only outfit selling the UV3D. Is the UV3D the latest in the line of Wouxun H/Ts? The UV3D isn't listed anywhere on the Wouxun.us website.

2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know for a fact that this is true but I read on another forum that the only differences are the UV3D has a different case, the the firmware allows a custom 6 character power up message.

Powerwerx also has a custom version of programming software that allows for the custom power on message and also allows you to put spaces in the channel names. It is supposed to be compatible with earlier radio versions except for the power on message.

From what I can tell (and I might be wrong) the UV3D is a custom version manufacturered for Powerwerx, just like the UV2D is a custom version manufactured for wouxun.us and the UV1D is a generic version that is sold my many dealers.

3. KB9ZES

KB9ZES Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

http://www.powerwerx.com/wouxun-rad...al-band-2m-uhf-handheld-commercial-radio.html

http://www.asiaradiosales.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=131

You can purchase the KG-UVD1P for $102. which is also a dual band.
    http://www.totalradioservice.com/amateur.htm

4. KB1UTG

KB1UTG Ham Member QRZ Page

biggest thing going for the v3 is the 1700 mah battery.

5. W4PSV

W4PSV Ham Member QRZ Page

My V2 came with a 1700 mah battery.

6. KC2TCM

KC2TCM Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought the 2D from www.wouxun.us. He was at Dayton in 2010.

The 2D I got came with the 1300mah battery, bought a 2nd 1700. Not missing the power on message, as I'd rather have the battery voltage show when I turn it on.

I sometimes get uneasy with newer models of apparently the same radio... are they doing cost reduction? That's always in the back of my mind. Maybe the new case uses less material, and is cheaper to make?

7. N4YAV

N4YAV Ham Member QRZ Page

KG-UV2D vs. KG-UV3D differences

I have found your information to be correct. The later versions of the UV2D (serial #K01 and above) also have the customizable Welcome screen and I am told the next shipments will also have the 1700 mAh battery making the differences purely cosmetic....

Mark

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  8. N7KDM

N7KDM Ham Member QRZ Page

So now I have found that Buxcomm.com (packetradio.com) is selling the UV3D also. This kinda rules out the special model just for one company. Anyone else have any input. I'm looking at buying two or three of these (not all for myself) and I'm just wanting to make sure I get the best one. There's got to be some kind of differences other than a welcom screen.

9. K0GKC

K0GKC Ham Member QRZ Page

wouxunHt

The wouxun i just received 2 weeks ago came with the 1300 mil batt. In the current advertising it features the 1700 m il batt.My serial #k0-10046 when i questioned ed about it i was told it came from a different shippment and wouxun raised his cost, my friend in PA just got his sat ,it has the1700 mil batt I not very happy about that but i guess i can't do anything about it.I would rather have the 1700 batt. so i gues i'll shop around and find it cheaper than 24.95.

10. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Never mind the previous post -- here is the poop according to a local dealer:

• KG-UVD1: Original rugged model
    • KG-UVD1P: Original rugged model with added DTMF feature and upgraded firmware
    • KG-UV2D: European case and a few Dealer Specified firmware revisions
    • KG-UV3D: Lighter Duty Model with lighter Plastic case with exact same chassis as other models
    All Models Carry the exact same FCC type acceptance there are no differences in design or specs of the chassis or electronics

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  11. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Last DFW Hamfest, the original Wouxun dealer had two other distributors selling the radios at the same price ($119.99). So he was blowing out all accessories for $7 each, including the spare battery. Hopefully he will do the same thing at the next event. If so, I can snag you one, if you want.

12. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is correct, but for clarification,the "lighter plastic case" does not refer to the body of the radio itself, but to a carrying case (not included with the other models) made of plastic, as opposed to the heavier leather carrying case, available as an extra cost option.

13. N2ICV

N2ICV Ham Member QRZ Page

14. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

You have to use a - (hyphen) instead of a space. It appears as a hyphen in the software and a space on the radio display.

15. N2ICV

N2ICV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! For the help.

16. KJ4GDX

KJ4GDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice post above.
    With regard to the KG-UV3D, what exactly does "Lighter Duty" mean? How is that different from the "original Rugged Duty?"
    With regard to the KG-UV2D, what is the difference between the "original rugged duty" verse the "European case" verse the "lighter duty model?"

Thanks

17. KB9HGI

KB9HGI Ham Member QRZ Page

The KG-UV2D now has the same firmware with welcome message. check it out on wouxun.us

18. HELLGONET

HELLGONET New Member

All you need to know obout UVD1P, UV2D and UV3D

Okej!

i see all kinds of post around the web regarding those radios but there is no clear understanding about the firmware and model differens.

lets clear this up for you all!

first of all, the serial number:

eg. S/N:J06-6721
    "J" is the tenth letter in the alphabet so it represent the year 2010, "K" will then be 2011 and so on...
    "06" or whatever between 1 and 12 means the month of manufacturing.
    The rest of the numbers im not shure about, i think its a way of identifying different changes made during the specified month.

second, the differens:

I own all three models of this radio and I have compared them outside and in.
    in a mather of look the uvd1p and uv2d dont differ much in chape, uv2d have the copper colored frame in the first model but are now avalible in rugged black finish just like the uvd1p.
    The uv3d have a thicker case made out of a lighter plastic. it's more stylish but less practical because the case are thicker and designed arund the standard chassi instead of the other way around. the choice of knobbs are bad to, thay offer less gripp, they go well with the design but not that practical. one thing i like though is the oversized PTT button, thats nice if you waring gloves.

thired, The hardware and firmware:

all the models have identical harware besides the frequency diffrens.
    To know you get an fresh version with the latest firmware you need to look at the manufacturing date like J12-XXXX or K01-XXXX. i recomend to not get one below J09 becaus the chort cut "menu + TDR" for toggle betwen freq mode and memory mode where the MDF will reset to CH each time you go back to memory mode are fixed in J09 and above.

also, the uv3d have a different version tagg, its like this 2010120606, more self explaining but very deceiving because when you look at the PCB it's really just an J09 version and not an J12 version as the external version tagg suggest.

and then there is the start up message on the uv3d and uv2d, nuff said about that.

the firmware seems impossible to flash because the firmware is located on the same chip that runs the communication function with your computer.
    I can't figure out the model of the PIC either to possible findout the pin config and maybe flash it with an standalone PIC programmer, so dont hope for a hack no time soon.

can't come up with more right now but ask and i will simple try to answer or find it out for you.

/HellGoNet

19. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

20. HELLGONET

HELLGONET New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.