Wouxun Dealer Calling it Quits

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0RGR, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Apparently, Ed at wouxun.us (importcommunications.com) has had enough of dealing with Wouxun. Here is the web page:
    http://www.wouxun.us/item.php?item_id=278&category_id=73

That's too bad, I like my Wouxuns, but apparently they are not kind to their dealers. The Yaesu FT-60 is a better radio for less than the price of a UVD6, and only slightly more than a UVD1.

2. K7EA

K7EA Ham Member QRZ Page

Chinese manufacturing. They probably built a million of the radios, one town's whole economy. Now they are building a newer model and when they run out of the old ones, no more are available, warranty or not. Maybe that is part of the reason they are so cheap.

Good, fast, and cheap. Pick two.

3. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K0RGR

I think the Wouxuns are somewhat better made than the Baofeng - I have both. The Baofeng is fine for the price, but I suspect my Wouxuns will outlast it. I have not tried the other Chinese brands out there, but I'm tempted. Radio City, the closest we have to a local dealer, carries several Chinese brands in addition to the Japanese rigs. They stopped handling Baofeng because they found that the units didn't meet FCC specs for harmonics. They still advertise the Wouxun, and rigs from TDXone and TYT. I know they started carrying the TYT because they can be legally set up for dual use, under Part 97 and Part 90. I see they have a series of nice looking TYT mobiles for 2, 222, and 440.

5. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I would take the FT 60 over any of them. My experience is that they don't hit repeaters nearly as well as the Yeasu especially the BaoFeng. Price doesn't mean a thing if you can't reach a repeater.

6. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Have you, or, can you measure the output power?

My VX-6R was rated at 5W. When I first got a watt meter, I measured it at about 3.5W. I made the assumption that the watt meter was a little off and forgot about it. Eventually, I sold the watt meter slug and the VX-6R died (mechanical failure), and I got an HTX-202. It noticeably outperforms the VX-6R on both transmit and receive. The HTX-202 is rated 5W at 12V, but mine is running on 9.6V. I have no idea what the output of it is and no way to measure it, but mathematically, I would expect it to put out 4W, at best. Note that I never used the stock VX-6R duck, and the two antennas I used with it are the antennas I now use with the HTX-202.

I don't know what the Baofeng or Wouxun's are rated for, and I know almost nothing about them (except that most users of them can't seem to get their mic gain turned up), but I wonder if the power output is less than the FT60 or if there is something else going on.

7. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that their rubber duckys are the biggest issues. Plus my hands and fingers are just too fat for em and I am probably sucking up all the rf

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh..you didn't get the memo?

When buying these BowFungs, there are some mandatory requirements. First, you MUST buy a different antenna for them. Secondly, you MUST also buy the programming cable and program them using CHIRP software (free download).

Trying to program these using the keypad is pointless, this is not like programming a Yaesu HT. It's designed to be programmed like a commercial radio, so just get the programming cable for it already.

Also, like any other HT, the supplied antenna that come with them isn't going to hit a repeater down the street. Keep in mind the supplied antenna is not designed for the amateur radio bands. Their intended use is to function as a wide band dummy load for the 2 way commercial radio bands.

The antenna to get for these are the Nagoya NA-701. After replacing the stock antenna, I can now hit repeaters 50 miles away. I also did side by side comparisons with a few Motorola handhelds that I have and it could hit the same exact repeaters the Motorola handhelds could. In terms of receiver sensitivity, there was little or no discernible differences between them while receiving.

Some people just don't like them. I get that. But people should stick to the facts and not make stuff up about them. I read some peoples comments about these radios and they never even owned or used one before.

For example, some people spread misinformation and say they are not very sensitive receivers. Yet they are actually measured -129 dBm and appear to be on par with HT's costing 5 X the price.

Some people spread misinformation about their so called poor spectral purity, perhaps they should see some actual test measurements on a spectrum analyzer first?

I dunno... Looks pretty darn clean to me!?:cool:

[​IMG]

Source: http://hamgear.wordpress.com/2012/04/05/review-baofeng-uv-5r-part-ii/

9. K0RGR

Apparently not all of the Baofengs are that clean. It seems to vary by batch.

Mine hit repeaters just fine. In fact, I think my Wouxun works better than my ultra-pricey ICOM DSTAR HT for FM use.

10. KE7BJB

KE7BJB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have actually measured the output power on both a Baofeng UV-5R and my Yaesu FT-60R, they actually hit 4Wrms equally on my measurement gear, terminated into a 50ohm dummy load. What this doesn't cover is the quality of the signal coming out of each radio (i.e. how well shaped the output is, how good the FM coming out is, etc). Additionally, antenna makes a huge impact, and the UV5R's is ... well not an optimal product for the state of the art...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.