ad: M2Ant-1

World Scout Jamboree ham radio balloon crosses Atlantic

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Aug 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. Looks like it might have been affected by Hurricane Erick and TS Flossie when it
    was north of the Hawaiian islands. :)

2. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Reasonable question. Typically the transatlantic flight tracks are somewhat higher, up to flight level 410 (41,000 feet pressure altitude). The balloon is transmitting and being tracked, and while it's not a great answer these things can be seen. In Minnesota I watched a science experiment until it popped at 78,000 feet (very impressive, there was talc in it to make a little cloud). Many years ago an airliner I was in passed a weather balloon over Kansas, a round dot shining in the sun. Everybody thought it was a flying saucer until the captain explained. Or did he....

KI5X likes this.
  3. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point, hurricanes go counter-clockwise in the northern hemisphere. This certainly made a sharp loop that way.

4. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All Shiny objects in the sky are called a Weather Balloon, even if they are not ;)

UFO chart.jpg

KQ6XA, K2SDS, HB9XCL and 1 other person like this.
  5. WW1I

WW1I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The North Atlantic tracks are 29,000-41,000. The position of the tracks move each day, based on winds aloft. The goal being to have the maximum tailwind or minimum headwind. It's a big ocean out there, and the odds of this little device hitting someone is quite small. Even if it was below the tracks, there are always aircraft crossing on a random route below and above the tracks. As for radar seeing a mylar balloon, perhaps, but I doubt it very much. Off the coast, there is no radar coverage, and in areas with radar coverage, the MTI system would almost always remove the target from display. I have seen a million mylar balloons while flying about (the toy balloon types) and no ATC controller has ever pointed one out based on RADAR.

6. K8XG

Ahhh, the airliner and military aircraft have their own radar to see it, not just ground stations.......do you have Radar on your plane ? I would if I could afford a plane that I cannot Hi Hi

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  7. K8XG

Heck MY Tundra Truck has its own Radar to see things I need :)

8. HB9XCL

HB9XCL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Brilliant :)

KQ6XA likes this.
  9. W8NSI

W8NSI Ham Member QRZ Page

A goose at 28,000 feet? Shirley you jest! :)

10. K8XG

No, I meant a Goose at any altitude is more worrisome , Hi HI