World Radio put Council Bluffs on the cutting edge of technology

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jan 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

CHIP,
    IT'S TIME FOR A
    COLD
    cold shower.jpg
    N9HI Have a Nice Day.gif 73 CARMEN.jpg

W1YW likes this.
  2. W4VR

W4VR Ham Member QRZ Page

Leo paid me a visit back in the 90's. I picked him up at a QCWA meeting in northern Virginia. I took him to National Airport where he bought me lunch. Needless to say I had an interesting eyeball QSO with him. I used to chat with him on the 40 meter band.

3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I met Leo at some ARRL conventions when it was part of my job at National Radio to man a booth and talk to owners who had questions about their gear.

Seemed a personable guy but I dont remember any real conversations. He wasnt at any of the evening hospitality suites I visited.

Carl

NL7W likes this.
  4. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I was first licensed as WN0ETE back in nineteen-ought seventy-one, we lived in Omaha, and going across the river to Council Bluffs and WRL was like going to heaven to a teenage ham like me. I swear I hadn't even thought of them for the last 40 years.

Wow, what memories.

5. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That lady looks a LOT like my MOM did circa 54-59; typical of Western Iowa beauties of the day. ;) This was definitely staged for print advertising. The look keeps updating but will always be a fashion show.

Erika DD

W1YW likes this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

..and Erika solders! :)

K0DD likes this.
  7. W8UBC

W8UBC Ham Member QRZ Page

My dad bought me a Globe Scout 65A as my first transmitter in 1954. I worked over 175 countries and every state on 40 mtr cw and 15 mtr, AM phone with that rig. It was still operational in 1968.
    What a surprise to read this wonderful article. Thank you so very much!

Tom Norris, W8UBC
    Iowa City, IA

K0DD likes this.
  8. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes she does! Pretty well too... My very first job in 1972 was making $2.30 an hour production soldering circuit cards packed with TTL Logic. My soldering station? A pretty blue Weller W-TCP. Several kVA lighter duty than that hot stick from 1959. HA

Erika DD :eek:

W1YW likes this.
  9. W7XTZ

W7XTZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave!!! U changed your picture, Mike w7xtz

10. KD0HKD

KD0HKD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

While born in Omaha, I grew up at Kearney, Nebraska and while attending high school, I worked for a local electronics retailer, which also had a Radio Shack dealership. I can remember the boss telling customers from time to time, "We don't have that here. Your best bet would be to go to World Radio in Council Bluffs!"