World Radio put Council Bluffs on the cutting edge of technology

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jan 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WA6AM

WA6AM Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool, more stories and some pix please! Thanks.

K9SS likes this.
  2. WA6KUE

WA6KUE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool store. My older brother KN0IJT and later WB6LLW (Norman) introduced me to that store when I was 11 years old. I purchased my first multimeter and a pair of Midland CB walkie talkies. And from there never looked back. I saw a Heathkit Cheyenne/Comache setup in there and later decided those would be my first novice rigs (affordable). Thanks for the memories.

3. DL6BCX

DL6BCX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting story.

4. K0PV

K0PV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice Dave....
    I started out in 1957 with a Globe Scout 680A which I still have and put on the air most every New Years Eve. Also have a Heath VF-1 VFO to go along with it. Very drifty & chirpy which was common back in the 50s & 60s.
    Visited WRL in 1959 while on a family trip. Still have the US call district map on my wall which Leo gave me person
    ally!
    Have owned many WRL products over the years including Champ 300, Kings 400 500 A, B, C, & D. Galaxy V, and various other models of Chiefs and Scouts.
    Oh, the good ol days! I missem.
    Don, K0PV
    Formerly KN0PVI

5. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

JOHN,
    THANKS A MILLION FOR THIS WONDERFUL
    WALK DOWN MEMORY LANE...
    W0GFQ WITH RESPECT.jpg

K0PV and K4BBN like this.
  6. K5XS

K5XS Ham Member QRZ Page

What a terrific story! Thanks for writing it!

7. K8SD

K8SD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very cool story......

That area of the US was indeed Silicon Valley for the radio world. In fact, During the 1950-1960 Zenith radio had a very large plant in Sioux City, IA that produced the old 5 tube table top AM radios. Some folks I know said they were putting out over a million radios a year off the production line. Zenith produced several spin-offs such as Dale Electronics across the river in Yankton SD just to produce a single inductor for that line when sources ran up. Some from Dale migrated to M-tron industries in Yankton which also produced quartz crystals for the military and later for the CB boom. There were probably a couple dozen crystal manufactures up and down the Missouri river valley form Kansas city to Yankton making multi millions of crystals units in the CB boom. At one time when CB's went to 40 channels in the 70's there where as many as 48 crystals in each CB radio! One each for the receive and transmit oscillator and 6 to 8 more for the crystal band pass filters. Until the PLL came along invented by a Japanese engineer. That was the being of the end for the crystal boom. I'm fortunate to still be in the quartz business. That area of the great plains was and still is home to radio pioneers like King Radio and Garmin. And lets not forget about that little company in Cedar Rapids IA, Collins Radio.

Great memories form that region.

Barry, ex WB0PJB, Yankton SD
    Now K8SD, New Glarus, WI

K0DD and W0PV like this.
  8. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

The year was 1962. I was at an amateur radio summer camp (Camp Albert-Butler in Elkin, NC) to study and test for my general class license. One thing I still can picture (and "hear") is the Globe King transmitter that sat on half a picnic table in the mess hall. I still can hear those relays ker-chunking as it would get switched into transmit mode...WOW! Never had one but loved the sight and sound of that one!

9. VK3KTO

VK3KTO Ham Member QRZ Page

Great story. Some of Leo's WRL gear found its way to VK. My first rig was a Globe Scout. Wish I still had it!
    73 de Mike VK3KTO

10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Clarification of credit - only the intro was written by me, but I appreciate your sentiment. The rest of the post (under the photo) is a recent article in "The Daily Nonpareil" newspaper of Council Bluffs. Click on the highlighted blue headline to see it on their web site.