Wiring up a Motorola Mic to a Kenwood TS430

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by W4ZZK, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W4ZZK

W4ZZK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Motorola mic that was given to me that I'd like to try to wire up and use on a Kenwood TS-430S HF rig... was wondering what the wiring setup would be...

Number on bottom of mic: TMN1004A-1

Thanks!!
    KJ4QMP

2. KI6ZIF

KI6ZIF Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you would have better luck asking here: http://batboard.batlabs.com/index.php

If the mic came off of a newer motorola rig. I dont think it would be possible without building an interface. IIRC, the newer motorola mics actually need 12v power for the circuitry inside them.

3. WA8LGM

WA8LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Motorola Mic

If you decide not to use that Motorola base mic, let me know. I'll buy it from you. I have a Motorola Spectra that it would work with very well. I am ok on roadrunner.com. My call at etc. :) 73! de

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  4. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Most MOTO mikes have a transistor preamp inside, and require a bias voltage -- about 6 volts give or take a lot -- to work.

The output is quite high as well, far in excess of what the 430 needs.

You could build a box with a DC feed and attenuator, but that is more stuff you wouldn't need if you would find a medium Z dynamic mic in the first place.

The MOTO mike is designed to replace a carbon microphone in operation . . .

Gary WA7KKP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.