WiRES? How Does It Work?

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by KD8SWT, Jun 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD8SWT

KD8SWT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone! Lately I have been hearing this thing by Yaesu called WiRES. I am wondering what it is and how to use it. I know you need a Yaesu radio that is compatible with the WiRES function but do you need anything else such as an interface or something as such? I am also wondering if you need to be living by a WiRES repeater to use it or can you go straight from say, Chicago to Minnesota just by using the internet? And can you use it to extend your simplex communication? - Thanks KD8SWT 73

2. KF5RRF

KF5RRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This should get you started on WiRES: http://www.yaesu.com/jp/en/wiresinfo-en/index.html

However, after looking over the that website, this seems to be something that is popular primarily in Japan and a handful of other countries - but, not the US.

Randy - KF5RRF

3. WG8Z

WG8Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Short answer Not that Great
    Audio Quality is lousy, does not do anything that Echolink won't.... (Echolink is free)
    Some guys in my area played with it, they regret the money they spent.

4. KD8SWT

KD8SWT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the help! And also is this something that you can use for simplex or is it just for repeaters? and do you have to have a WiRES repeater around you to work it?

5. KF7VXA

KF7VXA Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you just need an RF connection (a Yaesu Radio with wires) to transmit to a Yaesu radio that has the wires unit hooked up to it and hooked up to a computer that is hooked up to the internet. It's possible that you don't need a Yaesu radio to connect to the node that will send your signal out, not sure on that one, maybe just a DTMF pad to access the local node. You audio goes through the internet to the Wires servers. Each Yaesu radio and wires unit is known as a node and you need the node number to access another Wires radio, you can use the DTMF pad on the back of your mic to access all the radios and nodes, they have different numbers ect that you have to push to get into the node on your end to the node you are trying to connect to. I hope that makes sense.
    Looks like only 10% of users are in the U.S. I have a wires unit that I bought cheap, but have never used it, I find that Echolink is far better.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.