ad: Flexradio-1

Wireless Network Operator suggests to revoke Amateur Radio 9cm and 13cm bands in Brazil.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by PY2RN, Nov 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't say this with any satisfaction, but the 60M, LF, and VLF allocations may be the 'model' for the future, as far as regulators 'protect' amateur radio allocations.

In a perverse kind of way, new narrowband modes may speed up the process.

2. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Allocations of this size may become the norm, if the regulators start to regularly monitor amateur band average usage and provide spectrum accordingly.

They may very well find that the actual band usage is just a small fraction of the claimed, as one Administration in Western Europe recently did in conjunction with the IARU claim at WRC-19 for 2 more MHz on 6 meters in Region 1.

The VHF/UHF bands, even in quite densely populated areas, usually have an occupancy that is so low that it is sometimes difficult to measure.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

3. VA3VF

Indeed. Outside of major contests - and those are normally on weekends only - and the FT8 segments, regulators can make the case for a reduction in allocations, based on usage, very easily.

We better embrace Hi-Fi AM.o_O:D

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    KF4ZKU likes this.
  4. WR7AY

WR7AY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We have lots of radios on those 2 bands running 24/7. Those freqs are used for our Mesh Emcomm network. We have camera, phones, chat apps,etc all on those radios.
    So, we are using it to not lose it.

5. WA3YRE

WA3YRE Ham Member QRZ Page

@PA0MHS Who knows what sort of wide band or spread spectrum style modulation someone might want to experiment with. That is why we need these wideband microwave allocations.

6. VA3VF

Correct...but commercial interests want the spectrum now. Ham use is very limited, takes a long time to deploy, and the longevity/duration/availability/interest is questionable, just look at ham satellites and WANs.

In fairness, commercial interests also change. Remember when UPS convinced regulators to carve the amateur radio allocation in the 1.25M band? What happened to the spectrum?

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I brought up this warning in 2004. I was ignored.

Ultimately, there will be a quasi continuous window (with some gaps) of usage for carrier, public safety, and unlicensed ISM from 617 MHz up to 6 GHz. This falls within 5G and FIRSTNET, amongst others.

Believe me, every 20 MHz segment in that range could be used today for these purposes, if available. It will not sit idle.

Brazil has so little usage on those bands that I fear Brazilian hams will not have a case, but I would love to hear otherwise.

Your friends in industry can't advocate for you if you don't make the case. Get on the air. Let people know you are on the air. Show how hams are pushing the state of the art and helping in ECOMS at these relevant ham bands.

I know some of you want to be cynical and say its a MONEY issue, but it really isn't. Its a 'are they using what they have?' issue.

Ham radio has very good friends on these issues. But you need to give them ammunition.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    N4QX, G3SEA, KF4ZKU and 2 others like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Not relevant unfortunately.

The mad dash to connectivity will eat up every available Hertz. None will stand idle after auction.

9. WA8LIV

WA8LIV Ham Member QRZ Page

Honestly, this makes sense. Most hams barely use these bands. It's a shame but you use it or lose it...

G4PWO and G3SEA like this.
  10. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Chef Mike operates on 2450 MHz and is confined within a Faraday cage with very little leakage to the outside world. This is in the ISM band and is reserved for such use. Large commercial microwave ovens may operate at 915 MHz, which is within the 33 cm amateur band, but hams have a secondary allocation and must accept any interference from primary users.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    KX4O likes this.
  11. G4PWO

G4PWO Ham Member QRZ Page

One has to consider the common good - there's suddenly billions of people in the world with smartphones wishing to access large amounts of data. Given how little used the higher frequency bands are by hams, I think we have to expect a reduction in our allocations.

I think we ought to be realistic about that and pick our battles.

12. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

We need contesting activity to occur on these band allocations.

13. CX3CP

CX3CP Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry for Brazilian radio amateurs, but now with Bolsonaro the new President, that suggestion can become a reality !!!

14. N5SUN

N5SUN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My son works in wireless internet and all of their interference comes from competitor companies setting up to crowd the bands and interfere with them. I would think that would be more likely then the few hams that are transmitting.

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is just one of my QRZed posts on this subject (as previous callsign N1IR) --from July 2005. Yep; more than 13 years ago. Ask yourself what WE have done in 13 years to 'add value' to our allocation. BTW, I have gear that works up at 9cm. But not a soul to talk to.

To wit:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remind readers that I was invited to post regarding suggested ham radio spectrum allocations vis a vis this topic.

It is a powerful argument against locking in the present ham radio spectrum allocations, when no on is able to defend the use of one of it's widest bandwidth bands ('9cm' at 3300-3500 MHz).

Unlike other bands at HF (for example) where there is voluminous mention and discussion both on the internet and publication, almost no mention of radio amateur USE of this S-band band exists.

There is no obvious evidence that it is actively used.

Again: If there is, then where is it?

Chip N1IR

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018