WINLINK terrorist protection

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KX4Z, Aug 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

We actually HAD a sinkhole in the backyard of a house I once owned. I think abou EIGHT full size concrete trucks were required to fill it. I can't remember any more, but I think iit was 35 cubic yards of concrete to repair the limestone layer.

We noticed a hole in the back yard that would drain the entire back yard in a heavy rain. Camera in there.....10 foot sphere of nothingness.

Gordon

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Except that Winlink is not a repeater. It’s a message forwarding system subject to a different section, part 97.219 which puts responsibility on the first forwarding control operator for any violation, even though the originating station operator is primarily responsible.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    NL7W, W6EM, KX4O and 2 others like this.
  3. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Sigh. Of course. But you see the point, right?
    And besides; who is the first "forwarding" operator when you are talking about ORIGINATION?

4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

(b) For stations participating in a
    message forwarding system, the control
    operator of the station originating
    a message is primarily accountable for
    any violation of the rules in this part
    contained in the message.

KX4O likes this.
  5. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

yep....now do you see what the ARRL wrote???
    if you can think outside the box, you can see what might have motivated them.......

6. K7JEM

I don't know what the ARRL wrote. This is from part 97

K0IDT and ND6M like this.
  7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As I interpret it in the Winlink context of transmitting an email from an unlicensed person, the originating station is the gateway station. It’s clearly not the unlicensed person who has no part 97 responsibilities, nor is it the amateur user who is the intended recipient and isn’t yet aware of the email or it’s contents.

W6EM, KX4O, K0IDT and 1 other person like this.
  8. K7JEM

This makes little sense. The only possible person who could have examined the message for suitability is the control operator of the originating station. The control op of the accessing station has no clue what the message contains, until it is transmitted by another station, under that station's call sign.

The FCC has stated on many occasions that YOU as control operator are the person responsible for transmissions, not some other party. The rules say the same thing.

W6EM, KX4O, K0IDT and 1 other person like this.
  9. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no"interpretation" required, You are 100% correct.

The LICENSED operator that first sends the message over Amateur bands is responsible to Part 97.

BTW, I have heard,(but don't know for a fact), that the originating Amateur station in the winlink system can not actually see the content of a message until after it is sent. It would be interesting if this is actually correct.

W6EM, N0TZU and K0IDT like this.
  10. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Especially if the box you're in has vertical bars..........