ad: ProAudio-1

WinLids on Parade - AE6XO

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N5PVL, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N5PVL

N5PVL Ham Member QRZ Page

From the WinLink-Watch files:

Today I watched as WinLid AE6XO trashed out an active Packet network with several participants - so he could check his eMail.

[​IMG]

I got curious about what kind of idiot would transmit right on top of an active Packet network ( or anywhere else ) without listening first. - So I looked up AE6XO at QRZ...

Here's what I found:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]  ---{  Big surprise, huh?  }

Ok, another sailboater who would rather screw up the ham bands with WinLid than pony up 20 bux a month for SailMail. - You can tell by the picture that AE6XO must be in dire financial straits, right?

Here's his bio from QRZ:

There you have it.... He works at NASA's Ames Research Center, and he's been familiar with amateur radio for over forty years. - but he's too stupid and/or uncivilized to listen before he transmits.

[​IMG]  ---{   Amazing, Ain't It?   }

2. KC2PBJ

KC2PBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not just WinLink. We get the nitwits doing loooong tune-ups right on top of QSO's every day and people who just fire up their "Lin-Yar" and talk over everyone. Guess what? The callsigns are not from NCG's and NCE's. Perhaps listening before transmitting any form of communicationshas become the lost art of amateur radio. WinLink is way overused and most users don't have a clue of its transmission characteristics - nor do the majority even care in the "Me First, Last, and Always" mindset.

3. N5PVL

Well, I'm a 13wpm general, and even I know that you're not supposed to transmit without listening first...

I am sure that many of the WinLinkers are just stupid, but I am equally sure that many more of them simply do not care.

The first condition is beyond our power to change, but perhaps by pointing out their error, they can someday be made to care. - Whatever it takes to get the WinLinkers to stop generating harmful interference and crashing QSO's.

Packet networks typically include participants from all over the country, talking back and forth in short bursts, so the chances of actually listening on that frequency and not hearing anything are like slim - and none.

There is simply no excuse for keying up in PACTOR 1 mode, precisely on top of an active Packet radio net like that.

When the server replies, it is not actually on top of the Packet activity, but having two strong ARQ signals on either side of your packets is impossible to compete with. - It generally stops any effective communication.

4. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Give it up Charles. He's better than you, has a sailoboat and the bucks to live it up, a Winlink user, and a mandate from God to QRM Amateur Radio. You're just a little pissant legal amateur who wants to do Ham Radio for fun and see it survive. You loser you!

5. N5PVL

I'm so ashamed... ( sob )

6. AE6IP

AE6IP Ham Member QRZ Page

Y'all have any evidence that he could hear the packet net from his location, or are you just stirring up crap?

7. AC0UU

AC0UU Ham Member QRZ Page

My guess is that he didn't listen to see if he could hear or not. When their email is at stake - they do whatever it takes. Based on the waterfall, looked like both signals were about equal power - my guess is that he COULD have heard it. If he has all that expensive equipment and the antennas to match, I'm sure he heard them.

Winlink just needs to be removed from the ham bands. My guess is also that if you simply remove the internet connection from them, it will stop most of them from participating anyway. That's the only reason for using it.

charles - did you send that picture to Riley?

Steve
    AB8YY

8. K2DMV

K2DMV Ham Member QRZ Page

Gotta send that email to the broker, how else you gonna keep yourself in Yachts and Mansions...

9. N3EF

N3EF Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KC7GNM

KC7GNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah I really love this line from that site

Now if this isn't proof that these idiot sail boaters want hf just to do their email then what is?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.