ad: SteppIR-1

Windshield Road Film.

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by KA5ROW, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member

I just can't get it off. I have tried all the window cleaners and nothing really works. Some work better than others but nothing does the job. I have used rubbing alcohol with some very very light rubbing with 0000 steel wool and that had worked the best. I have used the bug off cleaner you get at Wal-Mart in the green gallon jugs but it just makes it worse. The cleaners that have no bug off doesn't leave as bad of film.

So what have you tried that has had decent results.

2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member

Straight ammonia followed by a distilled water rinse.

3. N0BLM

N0BLM Ham Member

or vinegar and hot water

is this vehicle of Japanese make? some have a film which is near imposible to remove

4. VA3FD

VA3FD Ham Member

I've used vinegar and newspaper (yeah, newspaper) with some success.

Never had a rice burner so not sure what those windshields are composed of.

5. WB8MKV

WB8MKV Ham Member

Once you get the window clean, I then wax the window. Yes I wax it let it dry and polish and it will make the window next time much easier to clean. Plus the rain will bead up and roll off.

6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber

Time to replace the car.

If you can remove the film then take 'MKV's suggestion about waxing the windows (we general aviation pilots keep a can of Pledge in the cockpit to use on the windshields; it doesn't scratch like a paste wax can) or use the new Aquapel stuff by Rainex. Few people realize that cars' windshields are constantly being sandblasted so to keep the windshield wipers from being eaten alive from the glass's rough surface you should use a filler.

7. W4XKE

W4XKE Ham Member

The age-old (1940 - 1950) standby for removing the oily film has always been Bon Ami (Hasn't Scratched Yet) which translated I believe means 'good friend.'

Wet down the windshield. Dunk a washcloth into a bucket of water. Shake a generous portion of Bon Ami powder onto the cloth and wash the windshield.

Not just a once-over... push down on the rag and rub the glass in 6 inch circles that continually overlap. It will look like you're spreading white Shinola shoe polish onto the glass.

After completely covering the entire surface with many overlapping passes, allow it to dry. Take a clean, dry polishing cloth (cheesecloth, terry towell, etc.) and polish off all the white residue.

I usually follow up by washing the whole car with a weak solution of soapy water and rinse it generously with the garden hose. Either chamois off the glass or go back and give it a final cleaning with Windex or ammonia-water and polish it to a dry finish. (Don't try cleaning the glass in direct sun.)

Finally apply Rain-X or the aforementioned Pledge to make the surface slick and water repellant. Viola!

8. W3JN

W3JN Ham Member

Westley's Whitewall Cleaner. Best ever for removing grease, grunge, nicotine, etc. Rinse well. Also remember to clean the blades of your wipers - if they're grungy they'll spread crap all over your newly cleaned windshield.

9. K7SGJ

K7SGJ Ham Member

Bust it with a rock and let the insurance company buy you a new one.

10. W4KTL

W4KTL Ham Member

Try some Spot-X; here's a link: http://www.glass-restorer.com/

The windshield in our motor home was water spotted so badly that it was dangerous to drive, particularly at night. I tried all kinds of remedies and finally ordered some Spot-X. I could not believe how clean it got the glass. Takes a little elbow grease, but man what a difference. It should remove your road film too.

11. N7RJD

N7RJD Ham Member

There's really only one thing that truly helps with this type of film. Big rock through the windshield. The new ones rarely have this film. :D

Seriously, I have had people recommend acetone for similar hard to remove from glass "stains." I have never tried it so can't swear by the results. If you have a YL or XYL in the house they may have fingernail polish remover. If it's the old type (yellow, not pink) that is acetone based you can try it on a small inconspicuous spot.

12. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member

Try Stoner's invisible glass.

You can also try using a clay bar on the windshield. For really tough stains, I have used glass polish and a rotary polisher. It all comes down to elbow grease.

13. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member

Zippo fluid.

That crap will take anything off of anything. And for the most part, wont ruin finishes.

If it's going to take more than a single bottle, hunt down some Aliphatic Naptha in 1 gallon jugs. Same thing.

14. WD4CHP

WD4CHP Ham Member

ZOFF

If you can find it, there is an industrial cleaner called ZOFF.

I used to take ballpoint pen ink off of photographs with it.

It comes in a spray can.

Be careful around plastics. It will disolve some of them.

15. KF4LQT

KF4LQT Ham Member

Coca Cola

The real thing

Wet the windshield, pour it on, let it sit for a couple of minutes and rinse it off.

No fuss.

Do it in the shade.

16. N5RLR

N5RLR Ham Member

What about the grunge that forms on the inside of the glass, perhaps from vapors emitted by interior plastics, etc. in the heat? :confused:

17. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber

Regular glass cleaner works for me on the inside. Of course, I don't smoke so you may need something stronger than that to get the stuff off.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  18. W5JO

W5JO Ham Member

Equal parts of vinegar, distilled water and alcohol works and you don't have to pay a lot for it. If you are into paying big bucks, then there is a product called Invisible Glass.

19. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber

I drink alkaline water that I get from a friends shop here locally. The filter the water goes through to make it alkaline spits out acidic water on the other side... that water is awesome for cleaning glass. I think the PH is around 5.5 or so, I can't remember for sure.

Don't know where you could get some acidic water.. but it works. :)

The biggest problems with windshields is like stated before, the sandblasting they get over time. Thousands of little specs in the glass that are itty bitty pockmarks, so when the light hits it right, it looks pretty bad. I have a 2006 Crown Vic I bought from the NC Hwy patrol, and the windshield looks like that. I am just going to replace it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.