Windows ME

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KR4MER, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

Anything Micro$oft makes is prone to crashes, virii, trojan horses, and the heartbreak of psoraisis, dandruff, and migrane headaches.

Go cold turkey and get Linux -- you'll be glad you did.

Gary WA7KKP

Open SuSE 10.2 forever!

2. KR4MER

KR4MER Ham Member QRZ Page

Heres Windows in a nutshell....

Illegal Error.....Freeze.......Blue Screen Of Death.....Crash.....Repeat

3. VE3SRE

VE3SRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto everything everyone has said about Windows ME. It was the worst M$ operating system ever made.

Right now it's unsupported as is every M$ operating system prior to Windows 2000 Pro. So whatever bugs and security problems there are in the operating system, you're stuck with.

Last year for some relatives I wiped an old PIII 750 MHz. machine that had Windows ME installed and put Kubuntu Linux on it. It works fine now.

4. N7VQM

N7VQM Ham Member QRZ Page

According to all I have heard, I must have just been lucky. I used a free copy of ME I received at a MS "roadshow" for a couple years. I had no problems with it. It was better behaved than Win2K on the same hardware. Perhaps I had just the right collection of hardware.

5. KR4MER

KR4MER Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe Microsoft accidently gave u the "rare" copy of ME that doesnt crash and everything that they use to convince everyone Windows is a good OS.

6. n1ydx

n1ydx Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used Microsoft Operating Systems since Windows 3.11 for Networks.

I've always been very satisfied, but then again, I work with computers and systems.

What most people don't do is ' Read The Directions or Requirements ' when they try to add programs, video or audio cards. You really can't have an operating system that is 10 or more years old and add the newest and bestest goodies on it.

I've had Windows XP Pro since it was released and only once since then did I have a problem and I caused it. But having a good backup had my system running again within 3 hours from complete death.

Don't knock any operating system when quite possibly it's YOUR lack of knowledge with it or YOUR complete disregard of 'requirements' when you stuff that newest progarm/accessory into the system.

PPPPPP - Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Good Day

N1YDX - Lee

7. KA7O

KA7O Ham Member QRZ Page

Lee, you sound like one of the 3 MCSEs I work with daily. They're OK guys and Windows is OK as well - so long as it's working. It's when it don't work as you want that things get frustrating.

Yea, a lot of problems can and are caused by ID-10-T errors. But any 'internet ready' OS that can't be trusted to be exposed to the internet (30 minutes anyone?)... Well, there's something fundamental to be questioned there.

Yea, my MCSEs bring their workstations and servers to me, the 'Capitano of the Penguinista', when they can't get their stuff working again or want an 'affordable' solution (such as an email or web server that doesn't require buying a new box, licenses and activation). I love it when my *nix tool kit pulls thier collective bits outta the contractual fires. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (hint: don't over sell your licenses!)

Of course, they ignore me and make fun of my 'hobbiest' OS of choice when their stuff is working. Oh well. Guess not turning the tables leaves them out of the loop.

8. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

of course, that could have as much to do with the MCSEs as it does with windows ... having a MCSE doesn't mean someone is any good at problem solving.

9. n1ydx

n1ydx Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't like to bash anyone...but...I worked with AT&T for 4 years before I went on early Social Security and had to quit to avoid going out my monthly 'income' allotment.

I was the IT guy for 5 servers and about 180 computers running a call center in support of Dept of State and Passport Information.

I don't even have a piece of paper showing I know how to boot up 'windoz' never mind being certified by testing. I learned everything by working with folks in the IT section until they all quit or moved on and I was the only one left to run the shop. I was the OJT (on the job training) IT guy.

I do know that any operating system, whether it be Windoz, Linus or whatever is only as good and dependable as the person operating it. Without knowing your system and its capabilities, you end up paying me $50.00 an hour to find your needle in the haystack that is screwing up your operating system.

Typical session: " Man, you got 14 programs running in the background with 256 meg of RAM. Update says you have 88 updates to install .' How did all this happen ?" The answer " Duh, I don't know " but the system is soooooo slow.

Typical 3 hours of uninstalling programs, removing invalid registry entries because they deleted the folder and not the program etc etc etc.

Right now I'm testing Firefox 2.0.0.4 on a new Vista Home Premium which I'm slowly loading with all my programs from a great desktop Win XP Pro running 24/7 for the past 5 years with 1 crash ( my fault ). It's slow but I research the program and it's compatibility with Vista and so far ( fingers crossed ) the laptop is fantastic.

Working with computer in the army taught me one thing - The 6 P's " Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance "

It's time to update guy and I don't mean upgrade, I mean a full backup of your files, get a new updated machine and install programs to a 2nd hard drive just for programs and leave your drive with the operating system clean and just for the OS. So a primary drive of 20 Gig and a secondary drive of 200 or 300 gig ought to serve you for years.

I would recommend Windoze XP Pro and only Vista if you use recent software that is compatible.

N1YDX - Lee

10. N0DIT

N0DIT Ham Member QRZ Page

ME can be improved on. Can't remember the site right off hand but there are a few tweaks that can be performed to greatly improve lock-ups. ME is bad about leaking system resources. I use a tweaked version on the PC that I use for radio control and logging. If not taxed to hard it it a much smoother and faster running OS than XP. If you only have one system to work with than suggest you move on to XP. I would suggest just backing up to 98SE but ME has a much larger driver cab and is easier to PnP.
    Good luck,
    Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.