Windows ME

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KR4MER, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KR4MER

KR4MER Ham Member QRZ Page

I have Windows ME and it crashes all the time. Why??? Whats ur experience with ME???

2. KE5CAX

KE5CAX Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked for tech support at a major computer manuf. YES!!!!!
    UNSTABLE is a mild way to describe it.
    ME was unstable due to MS trying to do too much in addon mode and not rewriting the code the way it needed to be.
    When MS killed ME they killed that whole line of OS and went to the NT base.

Ed

3. AD4MG

AD4MG Banned QRZ Page

It's pretty useless. The proprietary versions shipped with name brand machines were the worst. I have a copy of the full retail version that I ran on a P-III for 2-1/2 years, but there was always some nagging problem to deal with. Drivers were impossible ... you end up using 98-SE drivers for everything.

Save yourself the headache of trying to run ME.

Here, we call it "migraine enhancer"!

4. K6BTM

K6BTM Ham Member QRZ Page

Worst OS MS ever put out. Basically it was a money grab by MS before they released 2K. All the ME machines that were brought to me for repair I recommended to the owner to "upgrade" to W98se. [​IMG] If the machine is to old to support XP then try a flavor of Linux. [​IMG] Linux is vastly more friendly now days.
    Good luck with it.

5. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

like i said earlier, the best productivity to be gotten from windows me was to be had if it was freshly loaded and not applied as an upgrade.

that said, as upgrades go it was pretty useless. a better use for hardware which ran win me would be to put any version of linux on it. i just gave away a system that was supposed to run win me but which, instead, ran linux for the past nine years. that system will almost certainly continue to run for quite some time (i took the h.d. out--4GB and starting to fail).

6. KU7PDX

KU7PDX Ham Member QRZ Page

The problem with Windows ME is it's really Windows 98 with a couple more features. Personally, I would suggest either switching to Windows 98 or if you're looking for something more modern, Windows 2000.

My personal experience with Windows ME is that most companies never made specific drivers for it, which leaves the Windows 98 drivers... They may or may not work :)

7. WD8OQX

WD8OQX Ham Member QRZ Page

To make windoze ME, just take 98 & delete the "windows" folder. You will be left with the exact same thing...

Windows ME (as is 3.x & VISDUH) is a total POS!!!
    Believe me, as a Net. Admin., I ought to know!

[​IMG]

8. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

ME = Massive Excrement

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. AC0H

AC0H Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a virus.

My father-in-law recently purchased a custom computer from one of his "friends" which came loaded with Me. Probably pirated. One wreck after another for the last year and he's still not ready for me to flush the drive and load XP Pro.

OK......, fine......, that cuts me out of the "help desk" call chain.

10. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

When MICROSOFT itself calls ME a piece of crap, it's probably time to listen. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.