Windows 10

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K4KWH, Mar 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

To be fair, a lot of the Android problems stem from not only service providers but also manufacturers, Samsung being one of the worst. If we you to buy a "pure" Android phone from Google (their Pixel line), nearly all of the bloatware issues would go away.

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Good point. Both my old Samsung phone and Acer tablet were a pain. Currently using a ZTE phone and Asus Chromebook, no issues with bloatware.

3. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I totally agree but what about the 3rd party apps that require "access all areas" or you can't install them?
    The number of those I have refused to install.....

Frank

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

T-mobile killed 2 of my locked Android phones with updates, Just so I had to buy new ones.

I fixed that by using Un-Locked Prepaid phones, That I bought at Walmart of all places. :)

The Zoo sells good phones for cheap.

5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny you should mention that, Frank--permission issues have been in the news the last few days: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/craigsilverman/google-play-store-ad-fraud-du-group-baidu

I'm guilty as the next person for not checking every Android app to see which permissions have been enabled or not--I'll make it a point to in future. (It's an equation: the more apps you have on your device the less you feel like drilling down to tweak each one).

I haven't had too many problems with installing apps--mostly it's being asked to allow permissions to be set that I question their use so I touch "No" and the app doesn't fully install. As for uninstalling, I haven't had too much trouble with Android's Application Manager doing the job (my phone's back on Lollipop [Samsung Note 4, which I plan to sell soon]), but there are a couple of data files that, no matter how hard I try, I can't delete--now that's frustrating!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  6. 2E0CIT

2E0CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes! And one excellent feature of Windows 7 (and Vista) is Windows Media Centre. ...Just fit a TV tuner card or plug in a dongle and with a couple of mouse clicks you can watch the TV, record series, record individual TV shows, pause live TV see the EPG weeks into the future....if they had included WMC in Windows 10 I might have been tempted to install it but the decision to drop WMC from Windows 10 is the absolute opposite of what I call an 'improvement'.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Microsoft killed the TV program guide for Media Center computers. :mad:

You have to jump thru hoops to make it work.

8. 2E0CIT

2E0CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm lucky! -The programme guide still works here in the UK!!!
    But what happens in the USA happens here soon after.
    If it works here they could make it work stateside too but I think MSoft and the other tech giants increasingly put commercial interests first and consumers last. (Maybe they are the consumers and we are the consumed!!)
    In the UK we have over 100 channels available on either terrestrial or satellite ..'Freeview / Freesat' ...it's not quite free...you pay your TV licence every year, £154 ($200) and that's it.
    In addition I receive a couple of thousand free channels from 'Free to Air' satellite TV from all over the world via a motorised 80cm dish. You can also set these up to run through Windows Media Centre too. (if you want square eyeballs);)

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    KA9JLM likes this.
  9. K2CQW

K2CQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why are you the most hated ham in Delaware? I'm in Seaford, love to work you.

10. KJV1611

KJV1611 QRZ Member

Try uBlock Origin:

An efficient blocker add-on for various browsers. Fast, potent, and lean.

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock

P.S.: This is not SPAM, neither is it an endorsement on my part. I just use it and think it is amazing!