windows 10

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by KA1BSZ, Jan 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

It is possible to disable updates in Windows 10, although it's not a 1-click selection as in 7 and before.
    If you check the selection under your current network to make it a "Metered Connection" that will stop most updates. To stop them completely you can turn off the Windows Update Service, either manually or with a 3rd-party app to make it more convenient to toggle on and off if necessary. "Win Update Stop" is one example.
    In versions that let you set group policies (i.e. other than Home) it can also be done there.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there any info on how much data is used for Win 10 updates in a month ?

Someone was telling me >1 gig per month. That could be a killer for people with a monthly data limit.
  3. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I HAVE A QUESTION.....I have tried to down load the latest WSJT-X 1.9.0.RC program into my LENOVO WINDOWS 10 laptop, went to 3 different places and just get ready to install that new program and a window comes up and says "WARNING!!!! THIS PROGRAM MAY HAVE VIRUSES,ETC " so of course I delete it and every time for the last 4 times I've tried, the same thing comes up. So It's not a big deal, I can stick with the 1.8.0 program , i was going try that new one. Is there something wrong with the program? or is there a site to go to that I don't know about. I was using fort source? thank you.
  5. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you get that warning for all new software, until a lot a people have used it--and then it is no longer new software. I downloaded it and then scanned it before opening it up.
  6. W8BYH

W8BYH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My experience (managing 7 Windows 10 Pro desktops, mostly CAD workstations, 5 Thinkpad Windows 10 Pro laptops, two Surface Pro 4s and one generic Windows 10 Pro tablet) is that Windows 10 itself is a very good OS - stable, fast and secure. Trouble pops up when the half-wit IT monkeys start fiddling with the security settings or loading things like Oracle or Cisco clients. At that point the reliability drops to near 50%. That's not the OS's fault.
  7. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm happy to use the wsjt-x 1.8 program works just as good as the new one.