Windows 10 passes Windows 7 (finally)

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KX4OM, Jan 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. NK2U

NK2U Ham Member QRZ Page

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah, that's the thing. The developer stopped updating the program but it keeps on working. I'm wondering what needs to be updated now?

de NK2U

2. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Good suggestion--just buy one that has at least 25%-50% more than how much you plan to store since an SSD needs that much for buffering and for a long service life.

Another reason for the updated Windows numbers is that people replaced old computers with new ones, and the new ones come with Win 10.

3. W1XWX

W1XWX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Been running Windows 10 on multiple computers since it first came out. It runs every piece of software (ham and others) that I can throw at it. Look me up here on QRZ and see my station W1XWX.

Really have never had any serious issues with Windows 10. It has been and is VERY STABLE and a big improvement over Windows 7.

4. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am still on the 1709 update from last Fall on all of the machines I am responsible for, but I have read reports that the April 2018 is stable. I have all four of the Windows 10 units on the Business Track to allow me to decide when to apply updates. I apply the same logic to my Linux Mint machines; hang back until the releases have a proven track record. My poor old Dell workstation with XP and 512 MB RAM is still my choice for the lab PC, since it has Excel 2003 on it. I need that for the PHSNA unit to properly handle the interactive graphing features. The latest Excel versions would do the job, but I choose not to pay for it on my hobby PCs. Libre Office doesn't do it, but it does fine for most spreadsheet and word processing tasks.

Ted, KX4OM

N0TZU likes this.
  5. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, you are going to have a lot of work on your hands. Since the April 2018 update, I see 1 Feature update, 25 Quality (Cumulative and Security) Updates, 8 Driver (mostly HP) updates, 50 Definition (Windows Defender) updates, and 8 Other (Malicious Software Removal Tool) updates. You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least have the Windows Defender updates.

You don't want to get too far behind or it's going to take hours for your systems to update. With my systems, update download and install happens in the background. Usually I notice an update is available, before I get a notification. I can put off the necessary reboot, until I have some time. Then the update usually only takes 10 minutes. But that's because my systems have all the previous updates.

I have 3 systems on Windows 10 and they are all completely up to date. The only big issue I have had, in over 2 years, was (I think) a bad download in December 2018. My local login worked fine, but my MS login turned up a blank screen. All I did was back out the update and let it re-download and install.

I run MS Office 2007 on all my Windows 10 systems. I bought it years ago for a XP machine (Compaq Presario SR1230 NX). I still have that XP machine and and it still runs fine. It even gets updates, from time to time. I didn't update that system to Windows 10, because it was too old. I also have a working Windows 3.1 system (386 ?) with MS Office and Turbo C. I have a CW RX/TX program on it, written in C, that works great. For some reason it doesn't want to update either.

6. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I still happy with XP, Icom 706mk2g and other old crap. Maybe because I'm also an old crap?

[​IMG]

7. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

I install the Defender updates as they appear in the Notification popup. The feature updates, I apply when I decide. The 1709 is still supported by Microsoft, and I regularly get the critical updates for it. I'll try the April 2018 first on my non-critical personal laptop. That one had a Windows 7 OEM install, with the free upgrade to 10. The other 3 Win10 machines, including a brand new Microsoft laptop, bought with a grant, are business machines for the 501 (c)(3) non-profit tha I support as a volunteer, Autism Improvised. The CEO and founder is a ham, and also, my wife.

http://autismimprovised.org/index.html

I do Macrium Reflect images to a set of hard drives I reserve for those, using my BlaX dock that I keep off line in my travel bag. I have six hard drives in there, with the log kept on DropBox plus local copies. I've had too many HD failures from the DOS/Win95/XP eras, but none over the past decade. I'm definitely paranoid about that. I do monthly imaging on the Win10 machines and before any feature/semiannual update, same for version updates for Linux Mint using Clonezilla on the 3 machines that have it installed.

Ted, KX4OM

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

"Win 8" didn't last very long! µ-Shaft quickly killed it and upgraded everyone (at no co$t, save time) to Win 8.1, a VAST improvement. (Win 8.0 should never have left the hanger.) I have an inherited Lenovo Win 8.1 machine, (nee Vista, via upgrade) that works fine, and I have never been "forced" or even asked to upgrade to Win 10. With only a dual core Pentium and 4 GB of (shared) memory, I doubt it would be anything but a slug with Win 10.:(

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  9. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I fail to see why this is important. Win 10 has been on the market for four years... and given the aggressive "upgrade" practices by Microsoft, I'm surprised that it didn't happen sooner. Win10 was the final straw in my move away from Microsoft.

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

There's even an upgrade for the '386 machine!:rolleyes:

It's Win 3.11, aka "Windoze for Work Groups!":D

I alternatively use an inherited Lenovo Dual-core Pentium at an alternate site; it originally came with VISTA. The owner got SO fed-up with VISTA errors and problems, and Dx by F**'s AND G**K Squad as having a failing HD and memory errors, I rescued it moments from recycling.
    After some trouble shooting, I found it would load Win XP fine, but not Vista Ultimate, which I had stupidly purchased a few years earlier. After replacing the memory (about $30.00) and reformatting the HD, it ran VISTA quite well, I thought. BUT, I REFUSED to use Vista! as I had XP machines that actually worked. At one point, I had problems with one XP box, so I reluctantly tried the Lenovo VISTA box, and instantly upgraded to Win 8. Well, Win 8 was no longer available or supported, but Win 8.1 was available for a free upgrade.
    Short story long, I now use Win 8.1 on the Lenovo for over 2 years with NO problems!