ad: Radclub22-1

Windom 40 Antenna By Chameleon Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Feb 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out this video on the Windom 40 Antenna from Chameleon Antenna. This antenna is an off center dipole that was specifically designed for 40, 20 and 10 meters. In the right condition, an antenna tuner is not needed for these three bands. It is an extremely lightweight antenna and extremely quick to deploy.

Screen Shot 2017-02-25 at 22.34.57.png

KG5EXW likes this.
  2. N7XGR

N7XGR Ham Member QRZ Page

I see a big failure point here. There needs to be a solid pin or bolt to connect the pulley to the yardarm.
    A white Ty-wrap will deteriorate via the Sun UV and thus break---down comes the antenna!
    And use gray colored schedule 80 PVC pipe which is thicker and paint it with white water based
    latex paint for UV resistance.

Bruce N7XGR

N2YGI, W4FGO, K2JBC and 7 others like this.
  3. WM5TS

WM5TS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bruce is exactly right about the ty-wrap. Max of a few years, depending on how much strain it is under.
    I work with ty-wraps every day on OSP fiber cable.

K2JBC and KK5R like this.
  4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sure it works pretty good for what it's intended to do.

I use ty wraps for temporary portable antenna's, but not for permanent installations.

If this is a portable antenna I would just make a loop at the top of the pole out of a piece of rope, feed the leader rope through the loop and then hike it all up to the top of the pole. I wouldn't bother using a pulley or that extended pvc pipe arrangement at all. Just too much mechanical stuff in that photo that looks like it could either get hung up, or break under stress.

The antenna itself looks like it's well constructed. Beefy UV resistant waterproof housing, a serviceable balun, and strong high quality wire.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    WM5TS, KK5R and WJ6F like this.
  5. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

<Someone wake me when the Ty-wrap experts have left the building>

GOOD JOB BRUCE! Thank you and 73!

W3CWT, K3RW, N5ATL and 1 other person like this.
  6. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the schedule 80 PVC suggestions! I will surely be making those changes The zip tie was a temporary fix. Yes, this is a temporary setup. I am getting a more solid support system for this as well instead of a rickety painter's pole.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    KK5R likes this.
  7. K5AX

K5AX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Another cable tie expert has entered the room. Glad you clarified the temporary nature of the
    cable tie. Especially the white one. I am a retired marine service engineer, and was surprized
    as to how many shipboard electricians did that out on weather decks. But it enabled me to sell
    them a lot of broken antennas. Hi.

W3CWT, KK5R and KM4TIN like this.
  8. KT5OT

KT5OT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

its amazing the companies selling ham gear will stoop soo low as to get hams to push the junk gear they sell!
    overpriced,junky antennas!

9. KI6TRA

KI6TRA Ham Member QRZ Page

KC8VWM likes this.
  10. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

First off, NO company has ever asked me to make a video. I make them because I enjoy it. I live in an antenna restricted area surround by stucco, and one thing I can honestly say about Chameleon Antennas is that they have NEVER let me down! Despite the suck band conditions that are going on right now, I am still able to make contacts. If I ever have an issue or question about any of the Chameleon Antennas I own I need only write a quick email or place a phone call and I get the help I need from the owner!

K4WBF, KW4LS, N3TMX and 1 other person like this.
  11. K0YEQ

K0YEQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the video, looks like a good afternoon project to practice a portable station.

KK5R and WJ6F like this.
  12. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Thnks for watching! The nice thing about Chameleons Antennas is their ease of use. They are easy to set up and tear down and light weight!

13. WB2JIX

WB2JIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, since the "Ty-Wrap" experts are here, it's really spelled "Ty-Rap" and it's a registered trademark of Thomas & Betts.
    I couldn't help myself! Sorry....
    Brian
    www.trueladderline.com

WJ6F and W9AMM like this.
  14. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the vid and report on the 'ANTENNA". I have had good luck with Chameleon antennas.
    You do what you can do, to get on the air form a restricted or limited space platform.

Adios

WJ6F likes this.
  15. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully, HR-555 will pass and bring some relief to ham across the land.

KK5R likes this.