Will You Pay the Obama Care Fine in 4 Months?

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by KB4MNG, Sep 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
  1. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Will you be paying the 1% going to 2.5% of you income Obama Care fine?

2014 is 4 short months away so if you do not have sufficient health insurance (the type that costs at least $12,000 per year per person), your income tax will go up 1% in 2014, then 2.5% by 2016.

For many, there goes your income tax refund check. Does it pay to work anymore?

2. W7MMQ

W7MMQ Subscriber QRZ Page

No, I have health insurance through my work, actually my rates went down for single coverage with 1250 deductable I pay 80 a month.

As far as work goes, i like to eat, buy radio equipment, ride in nice cars, so I think I will keep my job
  3. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

I have often wondered if the reaction to paying income taxes or SS when they came into being many years ago was as bad.
    I suppose it was at the time, we just didn't have the internet so people could complain about it.:rolleyes:
    For us it makes no difference as we are retired and have insurance via that retirement.
    For our kids it will finally force them to quit squandering their money on useless things and provide themselves medical coverage. To date if they need care they hit and ER and in one case the wife needed surgery. But the hospital will always settle the bills for much less than owed as they can always pass on the costs of doing business to the rest of us.

In all but the very early times of my life as a young adult I had health insurance and was rarely out of work without a medical plan. Some of the jobs I had were not the best but they had good benefits. Sometimes you have to take the good with the bad in life.
    Now it seems that corporate America thinks that it's profit margin is far more important than offering medical plans to it's employees.
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  4. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

It was worse.

Fun fact: the income tax was a major factor in the road to Prohibition. Here's why: Before the income tax, alcohol taxation was a MAJOR source of revenue, and so complete banning of booze was unthinkable because of the loss of revenue that would result. But with the beginning of the income tax (1914-15?) that dependence went away.

Social Security and in particular Medicare were OPPOSED by more than a few folks, for a variety of reasons.

Most of all, remember this: "Obamacare" is essentially "Romneycare" brought to the Federal level. If it was OK for Republican Mitt to bring to Massachusetts, why is it somehow so bad for Democrat Barack to bring to the other 49 states?

Or did I just answer my own question?
  5. N4CYA

I have two health insurances and they do all the paying.
  6. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it has little to do with the plan and more with the man that brought it to us.
    Sad but true.
  7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

What works in MA may not work as well in the rest of the US. My county is the size of CT, yet we have 36K people living here. A plan designed for CT may not work in rural AZ. That's just a fact.

8. KF5RYJ

KF5RYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just because something works for Massachusetts doesn't mean it will work for every state or at the federal level. That's one of the biggest problems with our government. I don't know when those numbnuts in D.C. started this panacea kick, but it needs to stop. Perhaps they need to revisit 6th grade civics class...specifically the unit on federated republics.
  9. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

Better yet let's use the Anti Trust laws that are now on the books and let's break up the large insurance companies and the large corps that own hospitals in this Country. In 2010 a CEO at the 3rd largest health care insurance company here in America made 68.7 million dollars for his salary for the year. That pay figure is obscene and contributes to the raising cost of healthcare in this Country.

Do you pay your Doctor direct for his services or do you pay the insurance company for your medical bills? All of the health insurance companies use 1 software program to manufacture their bills for their customers. These bills contain gross overcharges for many and have a built in mechanism that raises health care costs each year by 7% automatically, so the stock holders of these companies keep seeing profits year after year. There is no competition in this market as the insurance, pharmaceutical and hospitals owned by corporations have stifled the Free Market system in this area of the economy, IMO.
  10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

A flawed premise always leads to flawed conclusions. And in this case, a flawed president as well.

Health insurance in Massachusetts is substantially different than Obamacare. Only uninformed (liberals) consider them synonymous.

Every time I hear someone say they are similar, I realize how some people believe everything they hear (liberals).

Rather than demonstrate here on an internet forum how little you understand about these programs, you might consider using that time to better understand them both. Just a suggestion!
  11. K7JEM

For most of us, it's a combination of both. My doctor submits his bill to the insurance company. They pay what they will, then the doctor submits the remainder to me to pay. I don't ever recall paying a medical bill directly to the insurance company, they get premiums.

12. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not?

What are the differences which would make a health-care plan work in Massachusetts but not in Arizona?
  13. W9JEF

W9JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

The original "President George" (Washington), in his farewell message,
    warned us about political parties and foreign entanglements.
    We seem to be neck-deep in both right now.

President (and former Five-Star General) "Ike"
    warned us about the Military Industrial Complex.
    More good advice that, sad to say, we failed to heed.
  14. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

"Obamacare" was developed from Romneycare. That's a fact, plain and simple.
  15. N5RFX

N5RFX Ham Member QRZ Page

It is also a fact that it might work better in BFE than it does in MA.

Mark N5RFX
  16. KI4NGN

KI4NGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh please! It's this kind of thinking that has screwed up everything, thinking that the employer should be responsible for the healthcare costs of his employees, over which he has no control of other than their work performance, such as your diet, whether you smoke or not, exercise, all those things that impact health.

The profit margin should be and always has been far more important than the medical plan. They're in business to make a profit, not provide insurance! You were hired to do a job, not to be some obligation for the employer outside of work. LOL
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  17. K7JEM

In AZ, we don't even have some insurance companies that offer coverage here in the rural parts. Most large companies have plans that cover Maricopa and Pima counties (the two populous counties), but nothing in the rest of the state. There are other similar plans that cover the rural areas. It costs more to provide health care where the population is sparse, and doctors and hospitals are few and far between.

18. W4MAJ

W4MAJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, I think I'll be okay. I'm not excited about what I pay BCBS, but everything my sons and I need is covered.
  19. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Obama doesn't want U to work (unless it is a UNION job!) He (the GUBBERMENT) wants to pay U Welfare instead. He doesn't want U to get MARRIED either (unless it is to the Same Sex!)
    He wants you ON THE DOLE, so that he will get your VOTE!
  20. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's fine, I like pineapples.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.