Wildlife and Coax

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by NN4RH, Jun 9, 2019.

?

Which of the following animals do you have first-hand knowledge of damaging coax cables

1. Bear

2. Deer

3. Fox

4. Coyote

5. Racoon

6. Opossum

7. Turkey

8. Hawks

9. Owls

10. Squirrel

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

My wife with the weed eater!!!!

N4MTB and VE3CGA like this.
  2. KD9NKJ

KD9NKJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was concerned about the same problems you are. I have a small radio station in my cabin. It is some 75' away from my antenna tower out toward the radio shack. We live on a very rural area of farm land in Indiana. Much of the time at night, there are many visitors to our compound. Deer, raccoons, opossum, mice, snakes, squirrels. Pretty much anything that's out there.

I remedied the problem by placing my RU213 cable inside 3/4" gray schedule 40 electrical conduit. It would take a lot of gnawing to chew through that stuff. Given it's durability and tolerance for UV exposure. I saw it as a well suited investment, given the possibility for mayhem otherwise. I'd like to point out that your antenna coax isn't cheap. So not to do any sort of preventative maintenance measure would be sort of foolish. Because animals do chew on coax cables.

It's much cheaper over all, than having to replace antenna cables. And it can be driven over by pretty much anything and still keep it's shape. You can always bury the areas with a high traffic volume.

3. WC5P

WC5P Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Had a German Shepard puppy at one time. He liked to chew on the RG-11 coax matching section feeding an old Butternut vertical. Never did bother the rest of the coax, just the RG-11. Eventually traded him off.

4. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is wild life? closest thing we have here is in The Bronx Zoo...

5. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

^This.

Yes I've lost coax and rotator cable to gophers. Also sprinkler control lines and the 240VAC line (!) for my irrigation pump.

Everything is in PVC conduit now. Yes, the 250' run to my tower was a PITA, but less so than replacing two runs of heliax (and one run of buryflex). Besides, I'm out of free heliax, a replacement run would have to be with new $tuff.

6. VE3OIJ

VE3OIJ QRZ Lifetime Member #42 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Biggest risk to my coax is my flock of dinosaurs. Either the macaw or the grey could cut through coax easily.

However, there is very little access for them to do so, and when they've had the opportunity, they don't seem to have any interest.

7. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

• Other/don't know
    And it was the telephone cable.

8. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My answer is none.
    But then, I've always kept my coax up in the air.
    The most damaging live thing to antennas, etc. on my property has been the wife with a lawnmower.
    :eek::(:mad:

9. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Squirrel damaged CATV hardline.

squirreldamage.jpg

N7UJU likes this.