ad: cq2k-1

Wilderness Protocol and LiTZ (long tone zero)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6KEN, May 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K6KEN

K6KEN Ham Member QRZ Page

This has been posted before, but I have not seen it for a while, so I figured it was a good thing to bring up again. I do a fair amount of backpacking/hiking, mountain biking and general camping (as I'm sure many hams do). On my trips I have used the wilderness protocol and found that it is a good resource for back country activities. I have even used it successfully to recieve an emergency call from another hiker. So here it is:

Wilderness Protocol Monitoring:

The purpose of this initiative is to offer stations outside repeater range an opportunity to be heard when it is needed the most!

The Wilderness Protocol suggests radio operators in the Amateur service should monitor standard simplex channels at specific times in case of Emergency or priority calls.

The primary frequency monitored is 146.52 MHz; secondarily or alternatively 52.525, 223.5, 446.0 and 1294.5 MHz respectively. The idea is to allow communications between hams that are hiking or backpacking in uninhabited areas, outside repeater range an alternative opportunity to be heard.

NOTE- Though it's mainly usedin the wilderness settings, it's NOT just for hikers, back packers, or similar situations....it is also available for ANYONE to use at ANYTIME... Folks may need assistance outside of camping as well!

Recommended proceedures for "Wilderness Protocol"

MONITOR THE MAIN CALLING FREQS: *146.520* and/or any of the SECONDARY FREQUENCIES.(52.525, 223.500, 446.00, 1294.500)

MONITOR TIMING: Every 3 hours starting from 0700 HRS ..on the hour until 5 (five) minutes past the hour.(7:00-7:05 AM, 10:00-10:05 AM, ..., 10:00-10:05 PM).

ALTERNATE TIMING: 0655 to 0705, Etc 5 before till 5 after.. (to allow for differences in peoples watch settings). You can always listen for longer if you want.

ENHANCED MONITORING: Fixed stations or portable stations with enough battery power levels LISTEN EVERY HOUR. (Obviously Continuous Monitoring is also an option.)

LISTENING / MONITORING: Listen to the calling frequencies untill 4 minutes past the hour, then make a few calls asking if there are stations listening that may need assistance. This calling traffic should only start at 4 minutes after the hour preceded by listening for 30 seconds... Unless of course your the one making an emergency call. LISTEN FIRST- CALL CQ with short transmissions. LISTEN FIRST! always a good idea!

NOTE- 146.52 IS A CALLING FREQUENCY.... Make your Calls, and then move off the frequency so others can use the frequency. Suggested frequencies to move to; 146.55, 146.43, etc. etc.

PRIORITY TONE SIGNALS: Suggested for Priority Radio Transmissions ONLY.

USE the LONG TONE ZERO (abreviated LiTZ). Begin calls for assistance with about 10 seconds of TONE with the LiTZ signal. Do this by keying up and holding down the zero key to continuously transmit the zero DTMF tone ( hence: LONG TONE ZERO ). Then proceed to make your emergency call. This would help those listening recognize that an emergency or priority call is comming through.

Lastly, remind people of the protocol at your club meetings and on radio nets. It a good thing to know.

Thanks, 73 -Ken

2. W5AMG

W5AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

Extension of LiTZ Protocol

It's amazing today how few people monitor/use simplex vhf/uhf frequencies, which makes it much less valuable today as an emergency tool than it was not too many years ago.

Not too many years ago, most mobile/RV'er hams would monitor 146.52 and converse there and 146.55/146.58 chat, as it was a great way to meet/assist fellow travelers, and while traveling, it is difficult to know repeater frequencies/tones/coverage areas, etc., making 6.52s a better choice wherever you are. It does get boring if no one else is there.....

I monitor 146.52 at home 2-3 hours a day, and in this area I live in, I'm lucky to make 1 contact a week, which is usually a traveling mobile. On a recent car trip, I monitored only 146.52 and made 2 nice contacts in the Atlanta, GA area, and 2-3 others all the way up to the South Jersey shore, and back down to the Nashville area, and they were all other mobiles. None fixed.

I would like to add to the LiTZ Wilderness Protocol by calling for amateurs everywhere in the US to monitor 146.52 whenever possible at home, and at all times while traveling mobile (not commuting?). You might be suprised who you'll meet, and who you might be able to help!

Comments?

de KH6TA/4

3. KC5BYE

KC5BYE Ham Member QRZ Page

I was hiking in the Smokies with my 5 watt HT last summer and I made a few contacts with base stations and mobiles on 146.52. One simplex contact was 80 miles away when I was up high on a mountain top. So you can get out and there are people listening. Plus when I wasnt in any valleys I was able to hit some repeaters. Cell phones are useless out there.This information is priceless and I am glad you posted it as a guide.

4. N1RKW

N1RKW Ham Member QRZ Page

An easy way to monitor 146.52 is to program it into any 2-meter rig that has the ability to scan. I do that on both my base and mobile rigs, so I'm able to monitor 52 all the time without interrupting my normal ham radio activities.

I haven't heard any emergency traffic yet, but I have made a few simplex QSOs that I wouldn't have had otherwise.

5. KC5MO

KC5MO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I always monitor 146.52, 55, 56 and 58. I used to always hear or get someone to answer on 146.58. Now I can't get anyone!

6. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Most people rely on cell phones, but cell phones often don't work in wilderness areas. Many areas of this state are void of any coverage, or at least the carrier that you happen to use or have roaming coverage with. I think probably a small roll of wire for HF and an FT-817 might be the best way to summon help in those locations.

7. WA2NTW

WA2NTW Ham Member QRZ Page

Wilderness protocol

Very interesting post! Thanks because I had never heard of this "protocol".
    I would like to add some important asides for folks to consider;
    If you do a lot of long hiking make sure you know what the weather conditions are for the day. Heat, humidity and fire danger can turn a
    fun hike into a nightmare. Fire danger is highest between apx noon and
    five pm. Winds will change this but you might not notice them picking
    up when you are under a canopy of trees.

If you do call for assistance of any kind make your location known
    in as many ways as possible that do NOT involve using open flames.
    A mylar blanket when opened up can reflect light for miles. Mirrors
    can reflect light but don't aim them at aircraft. Rotate them around
    so an aircraft will see flashes.

I have monitored 52 for over 30 years and I agree there are fewer
    people on today. I scan 52, 55 and 58 when I am in my truck but those
    days are few. At home I almost never monitor since I am an EMT and
    monitor fire/EMS frequencies. I will remember to throw my HT into
    my go bag since that might be my only contact with someone in trouble.
    Thanks!

Dolph
    WA2NTW

8. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I live in a valley which is surrounded by wilderness areas. I monitor .52 at home and while mobile. I have not heard any emergency calls over the many years I have monitored but have talked to people hiking/camping in the woods. Most .52 traffic however is from mobiles on the interstate as they pass through the Baker Valley.

I enjoy and use simplex more than repeaters and find the distances that can be covered are at times rather amazing. A trip through Yellowstone last Fall proved that when from the north east entrance to Yellowstone (just west of Cody, WY) I was able to talk to another mobile who was in the Grand Tetons near Jackson WY...quite a distance through some pretty rugged terrain.

9. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

LiTz?

LiTZ? Shouldn't it be LoTZ?

10. AI4NW

AI4NW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I try to monitor 520 but often find myself turning it off. A group of hams in my town (Port Saint Lucie, FL) Starting using 520 as their rag chew frequency. The excuse. We didn't hear anyone else using it so we started to. Well, Is that how they do it up North? Why you would pick a calling frequency to rag chew on does not make sense to me. I think many hams do monitor calling frequencies until nonsense like that starts up. There are plenty of two meter simplex frequencies and the two meter band plan is very simple.

If you take your traffic off the calling frequencies then people will monitor them. I have heard the excuse. Well if we are on it then at least they know we are there. True, but when you are off it no one is there because they were chased away by the noise.

So I say scan it, monitor it, use it while driving but don't use it as your in town meeting frequency. That is just poor practice.

Thanks
    Pat L
    AI4NW

11. N3GGT

N3GGT Ham Member QRZ Page

i listen to 146.520 from 0900 - 2200 hours daily and hardly hear anyone on

12. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Ham Member QRZ Page

I've plugged all the frequencies for the Wilderness Protocol (as well as the national calling frequency) in my scanner. It's usually on when I'm home. My house overlooks the valley adjacent to what is purported to be the 2nd most climbed mountain on the planet - after Mt Fuji. Haven't heard anything yet.

13. N1BHH

N1BHH Ham Member QRZ Page

You are so wrong about simplex. Here in the Boston area, as with many places in the country, simplex is heavily used. It's being used right now by more folks than you think, just because you don't hear anyone, don't mean there isn't anyone using it. Lots of licensed married couples carry their walkies when they go out for their walk and chat that way. The San Francisco area has a big bunch of guys that use 146.52, mostly at night, but they are there. I use simplex quite a bit.

14. KC0BIN

KC0BIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Plug for wilderness comms on 6m

It's a pity six meters isn't as well covered by the current crop of hand-helds as two meters is; six is THE most reliable comms you can have in heavily forested areas. I've proven that to myself experimenting with military surplus 6m radios like the PRT-4/PRR-9 tactical sets, which only put out half a watt or so.

This summer I plan to take an Azden AZ-61 (5W) handheld along when hiking in Minnesota's Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA)- with 52.525 monitored at all times- but who else but Yaesu VX-7 owners would be using that channel? Or 6m at all? Nonetheless I'll do my part and monitor. And try to win some converts to Amateur Radio among the hikers I meet.

15. W5YDM

W5YDM Ham Member QRZ Page

146.52 unless in North Texas

My scanner would stay locked on 6.52 because it is always in use for rag chewing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.