Why the Lack of Web Presense/Responsiveness for Ham Radio Clubs?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by N2PPK, Aug 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Again, lack of volunteers. It's a catch 22. There are active clubs out there, but lots more that are just nominally in existence. You may have moved into an area where only the nominal ones are 'active'.

Sorry if this not the expected answer, but you may be that missing link. :oops:

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

You could start a club.

I did that years ago. Never charged for membership, But had tons of priceless fun.

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Would guess that for many radio clubs radio is the emphasis and not computers so unless they have a member(s) who also have a strong computer interest and are willing to take on developing and maintaining the site not much is accomplished.

K3UJ likes this.
  4. N2PPK

N2PPK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would sure hope that is the case... however, ensuring you have membership in the future relies on recruitment. Hard to do without a website these days.

N4AAB and K3XR like this.
  5. N2PPK

N2PPK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sadly, that's what I was expecting to hear. I've got the old club an hour away which isn't too bad, but it would be far easier to be active in events if there was a club closer.

6. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Definately. The first thing I did when I was studying for my Tech, was to do a web search. That short list is what I went with. Some of them didn't show up on the ARRL 'look for a club' search page.

7. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

A web page is not the only method of recruitment, while it can help, there are other methods in use. There are also other ways of finding clubs. Echoing XR, emphasis of the clubs is radio, not computers/programming. Not every club has someone who can or wants to do the job. As you mentioned it's not a one shot deal, on going maintenance is needed. So you need someone who's knows what they are doing, who's willing to give the time to do it.