ad: Schulman-1

Why social media is important to amateur radio growth

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KH6OWL, Dec 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

I get on radio to get away from the lunatics on social media. Can't even keep in touch with non-ham friends these days on social media without getting bombarded with ads and all manner of putrid nonsense.

AK5B likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice job!

Ham radio IS 'social media', as is QRZed.

Extending that reality--or realization-- to other social media forms is both logical and informed. OWL did a great job IMO.

3. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

You can try to reach them all you want on whatever social media platform fact is most people have zero interest in ham radio. I guess if you want to make it your hobby to "turn" kids into ham radio then thats your business. However the only pushers of this has been the ARRL to recruit more people to replace the ones that quit them. Hey, if a next door kid finds some interest and starts asking questions sure yea bring them into the shack see if they want to learn however running the recruitment deal I have seen with ham crams included has done nothing for the hobby except getting more people involved that know nothing case in point look at the extra class numbers the last 10 years and most of them have little knowledge of electronics and operating cause they go from zero to extra in 2 weeks. You might love to look at the lisc. numbers but the the quality has declined big time.

AK5B and K3XR like this.
  4. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

At the turn of the century there was ... My Space ...

5. K8AKC

K8AKC Ham Member QRZ Page

There sure was. My generation was first to use social media. It was great until everyone's mom was on it and the corporations got too big for their own good. Now it's just arguing and fake lives.

6. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, back in the day (1980s), I worked at a major mini computer manufacturer, now 20 yrs bankrupt.

We had an app called "notes", very similar to this forum. The "notes files" could be accessed over the in-company network, and access we did. There were very many employee-interest notes files, everything from astronomy to home repair, all accessible over a worldwide network.

So, no, social media is not all that new.

7. SA4BRL

SA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

The Social Media is the message
    (paraphrasing, of course, Marshall McLuhan....)