Why so many scams latey?

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by N0AKF, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
ad: L-Geochron
  1. N0AKF

N0AKF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why are the scammers hitting the ham radio sites lately? I was just had - see the post about N6VUK. Very discouraging to have this happen :(
  2. VK5TM

VK5TM Ham Member QRZ Page

Because the world's gone to pot and it ain't going a get any better.

My guess is the worse the economy, the more the dishonest come out to play.

Terry VK5TM
  3. KE6KA

KE6KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Because people do things they wouldn't otherwise do when they aren't in front of you. The anonymity of the internet makes it worse. Add that layer of protection foreign scam artists have simply by being in some place such as Kenya, well, they know there aren't going to be any consequences for scamming someone in the United States, Canada, or the UK.

As for the hijacked accounts on QRZ, perhaps it is time to take note of patterns and implement some way to stop hijackings. Maybe placing the date they signed up on QRZ in on their bio page as one way to alert buyers that this person signed up yesterday and immediately placed something for sale. I know legitimate sellers do that, but you have to start somewhere.

As I was typing this I was thinking maybe a log showing the IP address they posted their item for sale from would help further. The IP address would reveal any inconsistencies with their QTH as listed on their license and the city/region/country the IP address is assigned to. The IP address could be displayed at the bottom of the post in the for sale forum.
  4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Neither of these answers fits, in my opinion. There's something else going on. Just within the last month or so, scams (and very good ones) on the amateur radio crowd are very rampant.
  5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

the NEW economic policy of job creation -
  6. N0AKF

N0AKF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A shame it is :(
  7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

An electronic form of desperation...

In the old days people raided farmers vegetable gardens. Today, they raid people using the internet.

Same principle, different period of time.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

Think Positive: these are Opportunities for Redistributing Wealth! :rolleyes:
  9. KA2CDT

KA2CDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There has been a sharp increase in scams on QRZ,QTH,E-ham etc. I would ask that all hams who do sell on these boards to update there QRZ profiles with a current email address. I notice that most of these scams start with a hijacked callsign that does not have an email address posted on their profiles. Not fool proof of course since the more advanced crooks are now gaining access to profiles and changing the email address, but it is a start. Also when posting a picture of an item for sale use your QSL card if you have a paper one in the picture displayed with the item. Like I said not fool proof but it will make it a bit harder for these scammers to pull off their deeds.
  10. KD3NE

KD3NE Ham Member QRZ Page

Best way to avoid being scammed ----> In person transactions.

Maybe the Hamfest will come back as a result!

Yeah I know there are still hamfests out there today buuuuuut .........

Not what they were 20 years ago!

Whenever I go to a fest and talk up the light attendance all I hear is " damned internet! "

From now on I will only respond to ads from people in my area or surrounding states.

I have some gear for sale, but I won't ship it. Has to be local pickup.

No way am I gonna get scammed out of say an Icom 7600 , 746 Pro or IC-9100 !
  11. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not everyone lives in a metro area where there are hamfests and a lot of possible personal contacts.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  12. AC0TX

AC0TX Subscriber QRZ Page

Since I do not sell here or anywhere else- I edited my profile that states precisely that!

I bought two things- I send a personal check to the registered address and then I say keep the item for a couple of weeks till you know for certain that the check cleared.
    Of course then I Google the ham call too no problems!

The other thing is people think there is no such thing as a free lunch!

Someone told me the saying "there is no such thing as a free lunch" comes from before Prohibition, bars would have a free 'lunch' very salty. Of course salt makes you drink more so in effect the bars made you drink more
  13. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

Scams targeting ham sites, probably because they have found so many suckers there! If no one ever falls for the scams the scammer's will go looking for more fertile territory.
  14. KI4DYA

KI4DYA Ham Member QRZ Page

You know that's right. It's amazing how many current-production items I see on the swapmeet that are listed above retail.

Seriously, not all the scammers take your money and run, some count on your assuming that because they've got their ticket they're somewhat trustworthy.
  15. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber QRZ Page

This is a good idea.

I would go one step further and ask anyone selling something to mention the sale item in their profile. That would be hard to fake.
  16. KB2NAF

KB2NAF Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, it is because Ham Radio operators tend to be older and the older generation tends to be less aware or concerned with scams. This is evident in the famous "business emails" and "transfer money" emails. The older the person, the more likely they fall for the scam.
  17. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator QRZ Page

It's also because hams have a well-earned reputation for being cheapskates. If you think about it, cheapness is just another form of greed. And nothing sets you up for swindling like greed.

18. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hobby sites are all fertile ground for scams, when buying and selling the potential for a scam when different jurisdictions are involved without the oversight of a single jurisdiction, how can you charge someone with a crime in Nigeria or Burkino Faso?

There are some simple guidelines:

1. Use only a secure payment system like paypal (I have some reservations) or better yet US Postal Money Order sent by US Mail to a US Address (good only for USA to USA transactions).

2. Too good of a price, NO FREE LUNCH.

3. Ship only to an address referenced to a callsign or Commercial establishment.

4. See caveat #2
  19. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Its criminality, dishonesty, a need for money, and perhaps most surprisingly, the thrill and excitement of doing something which is breaking the law.
    We've had TV documentaries on and off about this for years any many burglars breaking into premises to steal say they get a great amount of excitement doing it, its like a drug, and they like being able to sell the stuff they've stolen to go and buy things they want like clothes and drugs Perhaps those running scams get the same pleasure

Mel G0GQK
  20. K1OIK

K1OIK Ham Member QRZ Page

When I saved money to send my daughter to college by shutting off lights, eating at fast food, buying a cheap car, buying cheaper cuts of meat, I was greedy?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.