ad: MultusSDR-1

Why not an Islands Award?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and New Feature Requests' started by N2IPH, Mar 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N2IPH

N2IPH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Searched and didn't find anything on this topic so asking why there is no award for QSOs with Islands.

Structure it after the Grid Square Award with endorsements for the various bands and increments of say 25, 50, 100, ...

Has something like this ever been proposed as a QRZ award?

K3RW and KG5THG like this.
  2. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Great idea for a QRZ award!

Perhaps following the structure of the awards "Programme" at IOTA (Islands-on-the-Air)?
    https://www.iota-world.org/iota-directory/programme-rules.html

Cheers,
    N2PQW / David

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  3. N2IPH

Is there anything for working /MM stations? Maybe worked a /MM in each ocean or all seas or while transiting the canals.

You can pick up some pretty rare grids working /MM stations. I worked YU2AX/MM in grid HL39 then again in grid HL69 last week. I hope he confirms them before the 10th of next month so they count toward my score in the chase this month.

4. N2IPH

Is there a Worked All US Grids Award?

I searched and didn't see where this had been brought up in the past.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So the island called "North America, Central America and South America" is one honkin' big island :D There's another one just like it on the other side of the Earth :D

Dave
    W7UUU

K9ASE likes this.
  6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

On 6m it's the Fred Fishman award, from ARRL. Very difficult!

You're thinking of a mixed bands award? Maybe excluding some of the rarest grids?

7. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was all about IOTA until I looked what qualified--no eQSLs (of course), and the islands weren't 'fun' ones near me like Government Island next to PDX, but rather things like Vancouver Island, etc. Wish there was a US-focused one where we could activate smaller islands in the Puget Sound area, for example.

Gave me the idea to start a US-based version of it. I have a geography background so it isn't difficult to get a list of the islands and pare it down for a decent US list.

8. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

http://usislands.org/

KL1T and K3RW like this.
  9. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

10. KL1T

KL1T Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, very cool! I was also looking for a US version. IOTA labels all the islands off the coast if my state as one island. Same number for a tiny island a mile off the coast as the huge 40 square mile island with 15,000 people living on it. 3 islands on this list equal almost 100 square miles and 25,000 people! The others are all only a few acres and no permanent residents.
    NA-031 RHODE ISLAND STATE group
    (Block, Coasters Harbor, Conanicut, Dutch, Dyer, Goat, Gooseberry, Gould, Hog, Hope, Patience, Prudence, Aquidneck)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018