ad: elecraft

Why no love for 2M AM?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K1YYI, May 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto: My VHF AM rig for the past 30 or so years is a Clegg Zeus and Interceptor B. The last antennas were a pair of CC 4218XL's on a 100' tower on top of a hill until ice and winds broke them up.. I also used them during contests and worked plenty of SSB ops who never made any comments that I can remember but that VFO was/is rock solid especially on 6 where there is still enough AM activity on 50.4 to make it interesting. The Zeus has (typical 60's) restricted bandwidth audio and a very effective audio clipper to make for good copy when weak. Ive opened up the bandwidth a bit for a more pleasant sound.

The last 2M AM I remember was early on Sat or Sun around 6-7AM and mostly down in the Boston area....maybe 3 years ago.
    A pair of CC 17B2's are ready to go up.

On 6 Ive worked Sixers and other flea power rigs using an indoor GP, a low 80M dipole and similar out to 120-150 miles or so.

Carl

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

6m has more AM than 2m.

Not really sure why. We even have a local AM 6m net on 50.4 and it gets several check-ins every week. I don't know of a similar net on 2m AM.

Back when 6m was open for F2 (years ago!) I remember tuning up high in the band and found Bob Heil K9EID calling CQ...I think using a Gonset G-50 (maybe...hazy memory). Gave him a call and we had a nice QSO.

A good sporadic-E opening produces 6m AM contacts sometimes, but that's so hit-and-miss, timing is everything.

KA2CZU and KA4DPO like this.
  3. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Speaking of Bob, K9EID, back in the "good old days", a lot of us were doing crazy things on 2M.
    Here's Bob checking the wind velocity in the antenna array:

[​IMG]

KE5OFJ, KA2CZU, KA0HCP and 2 others like this.
  4. K1YYI

K1YYI Ham Member QRZ Page

The YMCA is still there, but the area has changed so much since I've been here I doubt there is any clubs in the area

KG7FIU likes this.
  5. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

There was a weekly 2M AM net in the SW Chicago suburbs in the early/mid 2000s. Not sure if it's still there. I used my Icom 706 at the time and occasionally a Gonset.

6. WB2WIK

I had two of those very same antennas!

8/8 "Skeleton Slot" J-beams, imported from the U.K. by a guy in Massachusetts who was a British ham living in New England -- he had a company called GAIN INC. or GAIN LTD. or something like that. He was a nice guy, too, although I forgot his call and believe he's been SK for years.

For their small size and light weight, they worked very well. Looks like Bob had eight of them!

7. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sure... K2YNT is still alive, but whoever maintains it uses the call only for an annual field trip outing. https://twitter.com/K2YNT/status/1107315043849420803

Don't know when the club @ the YMCA actually folded but Tom Halpin (searchable) has a Metuchen history page with some photos.

OK, this thread has spurned me to see about getting the twoer on the air....

8. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

It has been over 50 years since I operated 2 M AM and then, only on Civil defense Gonset radios. ( I wasn't actually licensed umtil 1969) It was my job to show up early every Thursday night to turn on all of the radios so they could warm up prior to the CD nets starting at 7 PM. The communications Officer, Walt Cocker, would conduct Code practice at 6:30 PM before the nets started. The Elizabeth, NJ CD actually had a couple of Motorola “portable” FM radios with a telephone type handset on the top. We could somehow actually work the Gonset AM radios with these FM radios.
    Tom WA4ILH

9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The RSGB VHF Manual has instructions for making the skeleton-slot antennas for several of the bands.

Quite a while back, I built a home-brew skeleton-slot antenna for 2-meters that had 10-elements on each Yagi. It worked very well but was a bear to install. Frankly, I don't remember what happened to the antenna. I may still have "bits and pieces" in my antenna graveyard.

Glen, K9STH

10. WB2WIK

I was in CD/RACES 1965 to some year later (don't remember) in Springfield, NJ. Elizabeth was the "County" site we'd check in with.

John W2IIN was running the show in Elizabeth as I recall.

Springfield had a very good setup back then: About a dozen Gonsets (IIs, IIIs and IVs) plus G-28 for 10m, G-50 for 6m, couple of Clegg 22'ers for 2m, KWM-2 for the 75m check-ins with State (Trenton), plus several Johnson "Personal Messenger" hand-helds on 10m for field work. The guy who writes the "microwaves" column for QST for the past several years, Paul W1GHZ, was also in our CD/RACES although he's 4 years older than I am and went off to college when I was just entering high school. It was a pretty big group for a small town...and of course the CD/RACES HQ was far below ground level in the basement of the municipal building! No windows, and closets full of Geiger counters, hardhats, all sorts of stuff!:p

KA2CZU likes this.