ad: vanity

Why no love for 2M AM?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K1YYI, May 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2M AM was still semi busy in the Chicago Metro into the mid 1970's with some old timers. I use to use a twoer.

When 6 meters is open I have made quite a few AM contacts on 50.400 - 50.425 lots of Ops with olde tyme gear too!

2. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My first rig was a Heathkit Twoer (1966) and a Cushcraft Big Wheel antenna. I was in high school and lived at home. There was quite a bit of 2 meter AM activity in Baltimore and on the east coast in general then. I quickly graduated to a receiver and converter , Ameco TX-62 transmitter, and 7 ele beam. It was fun for a couple years til I went off to college. I have a great deal of nostalgia for those days, but would not go back to AM on 2. SSB is much better these days to have a conversation on 2 meters.

3. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in 2013 there was idea tossed about to get the ARRL VHF/UHF Advisory Committee involved in defining a 2M AM calling frequency. Unfortunately, the committee was dissolved in 2013 and 2M AM calling frequency went into limbo. The thought was to defined a frequency around the upper edge of the SSB band plan (around 144.270 MHz). i.e. SSB is AM with no carrier and one or two sidebands. :) In this "phone" area, you generally don't have to deal with all the repeaters and digital modes that were popping up. I still thing that's the best place to set up an AM calling frequency.

During ARRL VHF contests, I generally operate some 2M AM. Most SSB operators really don't care since a point is a point. I can operate with a Clegg 22'er with an Ameco VFO621 for frequency control and as a fine tune pitch control. Works great for CW too. Since I don't take contests too seriously anymore, making AM contacts with contest operators on a casual basis is really fun . Of course, comments like "too much carrier", "you seem to be drifting", "you have two sidebands", "you sound funny" , etc. are fairly common. :D

AD5HR likes this.
  4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here and it was a lot of fun. A group of us used to get on in the afternoon, after school for a couple of hours almost every day. The FCC put the hammer down on 2 meter phone for Novices in 1967. I got my drivers license so by the summer of that year I had other things on my mind anyway, and radio sort of took a back seat.

It seems to me that with all of the old AM gear around, 2 meter AM could be a lot of fun once again.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That was a very common and good setup in the 60s.

Many used either a Ranger or just (simpler, cheaper) an Eico 730 modulator, which worked well with the 6n2. The 6n2 VFO drifted! A lot of guys opted for the Hallicrafters HA-5 heterodyne VFO instead, which was considerably more stable.

HQ170/Nuvistor converter was common, and Nuvistor converters were made by almost everybody (Ameco, Tecraft, Parks, et al. -- big list) and worked well.

I recall those days pretty fondly -- 2m kept me so busy there were weeks when I never touched HF at all, especially after finding I could make 300-400 mile QSOs on 2m CW very easily, and there was a LOT of 2m CW activity, every night.:)

6. KI2J

KI2J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good old days was an AN/ARC 4 (832A) for me, and a Gonset Comm III for receive which was on loan from the local Civil Defense people. That was as a Novice - WN2RJD. Dad got transferred suddenly, at about the same time the ARC 4’s power supply (home brew previous owner) decided to go nuclear filling the house with smoke and some horrible black goo coming out of one xformer. Those two events = off the air.

Anyway hadn’t seen an ARC 4 mentioned. 300 ohm twin lead out to a vertical dipole. And I had my light bulb to tune with!

dave

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. KI2J

KI2J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh for the mention of Metuchen....was in South River those days.

KA2CZU likes this.
  8. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ameco, as soon as you said the name I ran downstairs. I still have it! Even have my homebrew regulator attached (used mating octal sockets to connect them). Must be from about 1963 I'd guess. Here it is dirt & all

upload_2019-5-22_17-50-44.png

KA4DPO and KA0HCP like this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably still works!

I didn't like those RF connectors much -- they were "Motorola" connectors which were very common on car radios back in the day. They actually "work" fine, and don't jiggle loose from vibration, but they were a PITA and on these converters I always removed the original sockets and installed BNC female connectors -- easier to find/make patch cables.

I had those, also, for 6m, 2m and even 220 MHz.

10. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

I still have two or three AZL 2M converters. A lot of them were built in the early 60's. Construction article was in QST, Dec. 1959. I was playing around with one of them back in the winter. Great 2db noise figure :) It was the front end of my IC-756 Pro II.