Why no Europe?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KM6XP, Apr 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm in 6-land and work EU all the time on SSB and CW.

Timing is everything.

I do have a 20 meter beam on a 55' tower, which helps. A lot of the stuff is weak enough that if I switch to my vertical it's simply "gone." The actual difference between the beam and my elevated vertical with a lot of radials is only about 10 dB, but that's a very big 10 dB with the kind of condx we've been having.

2. KM6XP

KM6XP Ham Member QRZ Page

Well that’s what I thought.

3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, conditions... but don't overlook the TYPE of propagation you are looking at either. Different types get to different parts of the globe at different times. When you hear SA it's a good chance at being "Trans Equitorial".

Also, there's a chance that your antenna installation has some directivity. You may have a stronger 'lobe' to the South.

Lots of stuff in play.

4. KC5RR

KC5RR Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8 here in TX has been very poor for months. A contact in Delaware was -17 the other day. I don't even turn the radio on most days. I've never seen it this bad.

5. KM4SII

KM4SII Ham Member QRZ Page

As others have said, it's all about timing and patience. Also, you will have a much better chance on CW or FT8 at this point in the solar cycle. I was able to work Uzbekistan and India first call on 20m FT8 from over here on the east coast using 60 watts. That doesn't usually happen for me, but I just happened to be in the right place at the right time :)

Good luck on the DX chase!