Why no Europe?

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KM6XP, Apr 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tinker a little bit with a propagation prediction program. E.g.,

Like weather predictions, the calculations aren't guarantees, just probabilities. That said, it will give you a good feel for what bands to use and when to use them to make the distances you want.

K8SQB and KM6XP like this.
  2. KM6XP

KM6XP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks all, great info. I will keep trying.

3. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

as mentioned try a dipole. On 20M mine runs almost north - south and is only up 22'
    Running an IC 9100 100W
    Last few days have been poor but during and since the SSB contest, I"ve worked Morocco, Spain, Italy, Germany, England, Estonia, Bosnia, Serbia, France, Croatia

Also DXSummit.fi helps tell me were the DX is.

4. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd suggest trying FT8. Even if you just watch the waterfall, it will give you a good idea what times you can expect propagation to different parts of the world with the antenna(s) you have. Folks with bigger antennas will have better band openings.

My station works really well on 80M. I can not only work Europeans easily on 80M, but I can work more difficult ones when the band peaks. I can work stations with noise issues or compromise antennas. Where I run into difficulty is when I have Europe and the West Coast calling me at the same time! My station isn't set up to do that.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    K8SQB likes this.
  5. K8SQB

K8SQB Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been getting my feet wet in FT8 over the past few months. Once I have a few things sorted and can get out of the house and set up in one of the parks around QTH I'll try SSB and maybe brush up on my heavily corroded CW skills.

I've seen my signal, via PSKReporter pop up in Central Asia, Northern Europe and the Canary Islands a few times and only once did I think I might be able to have worked Finland (I could see I was coming in there at -4 or so and I could read the station in my hovel at a respectable level for about 10 minutes) unfortunately the window coincided with a trip to the kitchen to make dinner. How many DX QSOs missed due to hunger? A few for certain.

Due to our location on the West Coast it takes some very good propagation to work Europe (or $$,$$$ and some real estate for a tower.) So far I'm happy working the Pacific rim with my tiny set up. On 20m I worked Australia for the 2nd time last night and NZ for 6th time, IIRC. Like the OP I find working most of SA effortless after struggling for a while (mostly do to failings of my first few loops, the Mark IV is doing very well for indoor plumbing, 18' circumference with a Comet 5-500pF variable vacuum cap) and can usually hit most of the Gulf and Caribbean as well as eastern seaboard states.

Crossing salt water is a breeze, but land, not so much, depending upon topography. Crossing land and then water seems to be too high a bar for my set up. When I get out into the bigger parks with the camping gear and use a 40' fibreglass pole and dipole antenna I expect to better.

Consider building up a kit for going out to Laguna Mountain or such (6,000+ feet with a nice campground) and try again. Europe may yet be within reach.

6. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

A low inverted vee is a poor choice for DXing, though contacts are possible if you wait long enough for rare high angle band openings.
    A vertical works better if you can't get any height.
    You don't need to go to the mountains for HF, though being on steeply sloping ground in the right direction can make for a really great HF location You don't have to be anywhere the summit if you are only interested in working in the direction of the sloping ground. Mountains can be a disadvantage if you just want to operate, as much of your time will be spent on traveling to get there. But, some people do enjoy the journey, if that is your thing.

7. KM6XP

KM6XP Ham Member QRZ Page

Thx, I have a Zero30 vertical I was going to try out but really need a remote tuner.

8. 2E0LPL

2E0LPL Ham Member QRZ Page

I see your on the west coast.

I have only been using HF for around 9 months....I have had contacts stateside from the west coast off the UK on 160/80/40/and 20m.

All within 200miles of NY city.

I hear nothing for any further...its almost like a spotlight beam/

I use nothing more that a 38mt long end fed wire in a rectangular shape.

Seems once my sig is away from the sea water influence it quickly dies.

I still find it all fascinating.

Nick.

9. KI7RPM

KI7RPM Ham Member QRZ Page

The Band Propagation is the most influential part of dx
    the other is your antenna the higher the better
    im running a Maypole 60 ft in the air on 80,40 and 20 meters
    kenwood ts 440s/at 100w between last night and today
    i have contacts in brazil austraila several in Hawaii
    Hong Kong china and japan
    keep trying and you will get thru
    antenna experimentation will give you tons of info
    on what works and what does not

10. KF6LU

KF6LU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your not alone in searching for Europe from 6 land. I'm on FT8 and see the signals but can't get a reply. Using PSK reporter I see good results to the Pacific and SA like you do but most of the time nothing reported as being heard in EU. I do have a couple of EU's so sometimes we get thru. Have worked Russia, Ukraine, Italy and Spain. Looking for GB, Germany etc.
    Running a ZeroFive GP 40-10 and never over 100 watts. So I'm compromised as you.
    Hoping the "Good ol days" return when a wet string on 10 meters would work the world. Glad I got my DXCC in those years. Hi HI